headphone recommendation
Jul 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

archimonde

Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a headphone today or tomorrow and I need some help.

Firstly, I will use it for listening music and will listen rock, blues and sometimes metal music (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, BB King, Dream Theater, King Crimson etc.)

I currently have a Shure SRH840 and my main problems with that one are portability and comfort issues. I'm pleased with its sound quality.

I had a UE Triple.Fi.10, Klipsch S4, Sennheiser CX500II. I liked Triple.Fi.10, others are OK. 

I don't know how much money should I spend for that headphone, but I want a good headphone. I think I will be more comfortable with earbuds.

For now, my budget is about $100 but I can spend more/less.

Thanks,

P.S.: My friend from USA will bring me that one, so I don't have a chance to try, and don't have much time.

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 14
The Shure SRH840 cost a good bit more than $100. I don't think you'll get something comparable in SQ for your money in a headphone. Or are you looking for an IEM?

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 14
In term of sound quality i think the KRK KNS 8400 is close or even slightly better compared to the Shure SRH840. But the sound signature is quite different SRH840 sound warm and maybe slightly dark. KNS 8400 however sound bright in comparison, in my opinion has better soundstage, comfort is miles ahead of the SRH840. the KRK are far lighter also and smaller in size over all, they do fold flat and have detachable cord and you can replace the ear pads also. The stock cable can be slightly annoying since its fairly stiff and a bit too long.
Thats pretty much the only issue i have with them. However i think they are over the budget slightly. Its actually very hard to find a good portable headphone in that price range that could rival the Shure SHR840 in terms of sound quality. 

So i think for portability IEM's would be better if you can live with them. 

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 14
He's asking for an IEM I believe. There are a lot of really good choices in the $100 range. are you looking for something with the sound signature of the Shures or something totally different?

Look here I think you'll find what you're looking for.

http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 14
He's asking for an IEM I believe. There are a lot of really good choices in the $100 range. are you looking for something with the sound signature of the Shures or something totally different?

Look here I think you'll find what you're looking for.

http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/

He mentioned headphone multiple times and says he wants something similar to shure srh840, which is a headphone.

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 14
He mentioned headphone multiple times and says he wants something similar to shure srh840, which is a headphone.

"I think I will be more comfortable with earbuds". I took that to mean that maybe an iem? Who's knows, reading through it might be an iem or it might be just a portable headphone but I think he's not expecting a sonic upgrade over the 840s given the $100 budget. I suggest the UE6000 which I like better than the 840s anyhow. See if that works for you OP, it's comfortable, portable, has inline remote, and isolates well and has option for active noise cancelation should you choose so. If you want an IEM refer to the table listed.

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #8 of 14
There are some misunderstandings, let me clear them.

1) With "earbuds" word, I mean also iem's.
2) I mentioned headphone, because I don't know which one is more comfortable (maybe Shure SRH840 has some problems) but my previous experience shows me iem's are better.
3) About sound signature, I liked SRH840, something similar will be OK. But I can consider your other suggestions. I mentioned my genres, want something sounds better when listening them. Just don't want a too bassy one.

So, the question is "which iem for $100". Sorry for misunderstandings.

I found UE600vi at Amazon for $44.95 (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Headset/dp/B003YKG2UK/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1405920625&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=ultimate+ears+ue600).

What about that?

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #13 of 14
Awesome. Hope you enjoy them :)

Before buying a headphone amplifier, be sure to check out this shootout: http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-11-1-amps-compared
(rankings follow the reviews)

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #14 of 14
Ok, I bought an Ostry KC06 and postponed buying headphone amplifier.

Thanks for everyone.

Thread can be closed.

I would encourage you to please update us when you get them and get your thoughts on them. It can be helpful for many lurkers and new users and even experienced ones. Thoughts and impressions are always encouraged. Enjoy your Ostry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back