Headphone Recommendation
May 8, 2014 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DanielMiracle

Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade the audio system for my desktop. Currently, I have the Astro A40s and Astro Mixamp; I plan on buying the Xonar DG and connecting it via optical cable to the Schiit Magni Modi combo. By doing this I should I achieve Dolby virtual surround sound while gaming and still have the sound quality of a dac/amp for my music.

Anyways, let me cut to the chase. With this setup I will be primarily gaming and listening to music. (Pop, classical, electronic, country, and occasionally rock) To do this, I need a good pair of headphones that not only sound warm and have solid bass but also provide an effective sound stage for gaming. I am looking to spend no more than $400. I have a couple of headphones in mind, but I wanted to see what would be suggested on here before I made my purchase. 

May 9, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 5
I like my HD600s, but you get a nice soundstage and pretty good sound for cheaper with something like the HD558.  It you want heavy bass, I can't really help you, but I wouldn't call either of these bass light.

May 9, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 5
I was considering the 600s, but is their price to performance really worth it?

I personally feel they hold that sweet spot in price to performance, but realistically something like the HD558 is gonna give most of that quality for less than half the price.  Plenty of good options outside of Senn also, but I don't have experience with them.

The HD600 is better, and in the audiophile world its a great value, but its still expensive and there are plenty of great options for less.  If you can audition them, you wont have to take my word for it.  Its how I decided to upgrade.

If you haven't yet, take a look at innerfidelity.  I think Tyll does a pretty good job with his reviews.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back