Headphone Recommendation
Jun 25, 2008 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Goit

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a set of headphones that

Sound pretty (emphasize the tone colors of instruments)
Sound clear and clean (individual voices should be distinguishable, not muddy)
Open or closed
Not too much bass
The high frequencies shouldn't sound too harsh
No ear buds or IEMs
No wireless
Should sound good unamped
Should not be TOO uncomfortable, the muscles shouldn't hurt bad when wearing

I'm not sure if the above are accurate technical specifications.

At around 100 dollars, give or take.

Can someone recommend some for me?

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 13
It doesn't have to be exact, are there any that are similar to it but are closer to 100 dollars?

I guess the most important thing is the clarity of sound and should sound good unamped.

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 13
Jun 25, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 13
I was going to recommend the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9's until I got to the $100 part. ATH-ES7's can be had for around $120 or so and might be a reasonable fit for what you want.

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 13
If I decide to go amped, which amplifier is cheap but good?
Then which headphone would be the best?

Are open headphones better bang for the buck at this price range?

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 13
I think the AKG K-271S comes very close....

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok fine, now I can up my budget to 200. Is there any headphone that does what I asked for?

Haha, that didn't take long. If you're going unamped, focus on Grados and Denons.

Quote:

How is the Grado SR125? It won many prizes it seems.

Their highs are very sharp. I'd look at the Alessandro MS1's instead. Some say they used modified SR125 drivers. They're made by Grado, but have a more neutral sound signature.

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitoedleon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, that didn't take long. If you're going unamped, focus on Grados and Denons.

Their highs are very sharp. I'd look at the Alessandro MS1's instead. Some say they used modified SR125 drivers. They're made by Grado, but have a more neutral sound signature.

Is the MS1 suited for classical music, or like hard rock? Who except for alessandro's website sells them? Because i heard that they don't give a reply or shipping notice or anything, you'll sit for weeks wondering what happened.

Secondly, if I decide to get the JVC SU-DH1 surround adapter, is that an amp itself or not?

Edit:Are there any dolby headphones that are under 200 dollars? Those that have integrated surround processing and doesn't need that 100 dollar JVC block?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back