Headphone recommendation with closest sound to HE-500s without the leakage? (Focal Spirit Classic?, B&O H6? Other?)
Oct 11, 2015 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cstjean

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!  At home, I have HE-500s through an EF5 amp, through an Audioengine D1 DAC.  I absolutely love the warm sound, soundstage, etc., it's PERFECT (for me).  However... I can't use them in an office setting because to everyone else I might as well be wearing speakers on my head.

Currently at work I'm using Sennheiser HD 598s through an HRT HeadStreamer DAC.  They are also open cans but they don't leak too much and are acceptable at the volume I listen to while at work.  Comfort wise, they are great.  What I don't like though is they seem a bit bright to my ears and just don't have the warmth or depth of the HE-500s.

So, what would you recommend to get me the closest to the sound of the HE-500s, but without the sound leakage?  Ideally with a soundstage close to the HE-500s, and comfort is a must (long hours sitting at a desk, I can wear my HD 598s all day).  Or, do I just need to toss a warm amp between my DAC and HD 598s (I don't think this is the answer, the HD 598s don't need much to drive (at least that's what my relatively inexperienced self thinks)).  Now, same question, but what if the budget (for amp if needed, replacement DAC if needed, and cans) is $500?  What if $200-$300?

And yes, I understand that I won't get an exact match, especially if budget is concerned, just looking for something that I will enjoy given what I know that I already enjoy.

For reference, I tend to listen to either metal (Insomnium, Mercenary, In This Moment), trance (Armin van Buuren and his A State of Trance station), or orchestral (soundtracks mostly, some plain piano, some concertos).

Thank you!

Edit: So far considering possibly Focal Spirit Classic, Sony MDR7520, or B&O H6? Not sure what to pair them with, and definitely open to other suggestions.

Oct 18, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 3
You certainly are not going to find a closed HE-500--even with a larger budget but especially not at $300.

The Focal Spirit Pro and Sony MDR 7520 are certainly among the closest you will find within your budget.  Neither require an amp.

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 3
KG Jag, thank you. Obviously I don't expect to find an equivalent, just looking for something "in the spirit" of the HE-500.

When reviewing the Focal Spirit line, it seemed the Classic is more aligned to the sound I'm looking for than the Pro. I'll continue researching and likely pick between a Focal Spirit or the Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back