Headphone Recommendation - Very Frustrated
Feb 9, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #16 of 27
I've looked at the Denon AH-D1001's and they look like a solid choice. I do have a few questions though.

Will they fit me better than the AD700's?
Where can I get them for cheap?
How will the sound powered by a FiiO E5/Behringer MicroAmp HA400?

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #18 of 27
The D1001's have a virtually identical soundstage to Grados. They would fit you better though.

They won't sound appreciably different through those amps as they will unamped (let me say though that they are one of the better sounding straight out of the box unamped headphones).

You have to give them some pretty serious juice before they sound considerably better. With a good amp though, their bass does clean up a lot. I wouldn't buy an amp solely for D1001's, but if you already have one for other headphones, the benefit is nice.

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #19 of 27
The Sennheiser HD428 of HD438 might be worth auditioning. I have the HD428, it's more neutral. Comfort is more than O.K. With a good burn in the sound will improve.

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #20 of 27
Personally, I think you're trying to ask too much for the means available to you. I can tell you that for the money ($91.xx- something on the main forum page right now.) that the AD700s are probably going to be difficult to beat for the budget. If you need bass, look into maybe trying to drive them with something better than you have right now. I think, even owning the AD700's that you're only going to compromise by trying to find exactly the same quality, with more bass. I think the 700's sound like they could be had for twice the price, trying to find that in a different phone, with more bass, may not be so feasible.

I'm a sophomore in college, and I've paid for every part of my rig by myself. If it's really important that you get beyond the offerings of the Audio-Technicas, I would consider looking into doing a lot more homework maybe before making a purchase, and reorchestrating your fiscal priorities to accommodate your audio needs. I went for a long time without buying alcohol, for instance, to get where I needed to be sonically. It's really about how much you're willing to sacrifice at this age.

Feb 9, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I think you're trying to ask too much for the means available to you. I can tell you that for the money ($91.xx- something on the main forum page right now.) that the AD700s are probably going to be difficult to beat for the budget. If you need bass, look into maybe trying to drive them with something better than you have right now. I think, even owning the AD700's that you're only going to compromise by trying to find exactly the same quality, with more bass. I think the 700's sound like they could be had for twice the price, trying to find that in a different phone, with more bass, may not be so feasible.

I'm a sophomore in college, and I've paid for every part of my rig by myself. If it's really important that you get beyond the offerings of the Audio-Technicas, I would consider looking into doing a lot more homework maybe before making a purchase, and reorchestrating your fiscal priorities to accommodate your audio needs. I went for a long time without buying alcohol, for instance, to get where I needed to be sonically. It's really about how much you're willing to sacrifice at this age.

What are you talking about? The OP stated clearly more than once that the AD700's do not fit him. While these may be the best gaming headphones at the $100 price point, I hardly think they blow all the others out of the water when it comes to all around value and performance. I've had the AD700's and the HD555's and while the sound stage of the AD700's was nice, the HD555's get my vote.

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodguy8705 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I think I may go with the HD555's but I'm unsure if they outperform the HD4XX cans and a small amp.

The HD555s aren't in the same league as the 600 series. I have not heard the 595s, but I would not recommend the 555s if you primarily listen to music; IMHO they are primarily for cinema and gaming use.

I have owned the HD600/650s as well as and they are much better in every way than the 555s; they were my first "real" cans after my Koss Pro 4As. As far as the other Senns go, I have heard good things about the 595s, the HD25-1IIs, and the HD-280s.

The Shure SRH750/840, Grado SR225i, the Roland RH-200/300, and the German Maestros are worth checking out also, so good luck!

edit: whoops, you asked about the HD4XX phones (not the HD6XX), sorry never heard those
redface.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #24 of 27
While I haven't heard them , I'm considering some Goldring dr150s myself. They're said to be AD700 level of SQ with more bass and a fairly decent soundstage ( Not as much as Ad700 but more than Grado) .. Take my suggestion with a grain of salt !

They're inexpensive in the UK , not sure if you can find them for little in the US.

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

So there is nothing you guys can recommend for for about $100-120 that will have a wider soundstage than the Grado's/Denon's but more bass than the AD700's?

Quote:

I already looked into Grado and Alessandro and they don't have the soundstage for positional audio which is necessary for gaming. If they did, I'd have ordered them already.

I mean, if you really wanted pure gaming headphones, I think you'd have bought the Astros already. Grados will give you a presentation similar to your AD700's but with more bass (good), a higher-resolution treble, and a significantly smaller soundstage. It's a trade off, but in the end, you might be able to get a used pair of 225's in the price range you're looking for (you don't need an amp with Grados) and be much happier when you're listening to music than with the AD700's. I think the AD700's are the best gaming headphones I've ever used, but I gave them up in the end because I think the Grado sound is more than worth its shortcomings. Since you don't want the AD700's, I say go Grado. I'll kick your rearend in Halo with my Grados if you don't believe me.
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by keezzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Only Slolution : GRADO
smile_phones.gif

couldnt of said it better myself.

Feb 10, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #27 of 27
i really like my 555s, especially as they burn in. if you buy used/find a deal and pair them with a cmoy, that should give you plenty of low-end for your purposes for under $150. the sound positioning is really great (i don't game but love them for movies).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back