Headphone Recommendation for varied musical tastes!
Nov 29, 2009 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

game_fanatic

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, sorry for another headphone recommendation thread, but I went through some threads and couldn't find anything that pertained to me specifically.

I currently have the Audio-Technica AD700 Headphones, but I personally find them a little uncomfortable, so I'm looking to sell them and pick up another pair. Budget is about $150 max, and I have no preference to open or closed cans since I'll just be listening to CD's through a stereo amp in my bedroom. I have had an eye on the HD555's since they seem to have glowing reviews, but apart from that I don't know of any other solid recommendations, given my musical tastes. I listen to a wide variety of music, including:

Blink-182
Billy Talent
City and Colour
Foo Fighters
Led Zeppelin
Metallica
Linkin Park
Oasis
Snow Patrol
U2

Any recommendations? Also, if I grab a dedicated stereo receiver/amp (in the $300-$400 range) would I need a headphone amp, or should I be fine with the receiver? Thanks guys!

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 18
Hm, the GMP 435 is $319.99 on Amazon.com, a tad out of my price range. And you say I'll need a DAC for my future set-up? So I'll have my headphones going into the DAC and an optical cable running from the DAC into the CD player? Sorry for my noobness
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try the GMP 435, and maybe save the amp but not the DAC / sound card.

I thought the GMP 435 was more than $150... a lot more.

The AD700's being uncomfortable...
confused.gif

The M50, MS1, D1001, used SR225, and SRH440 first come to mind.

No, you would not need an amp with a receiver.

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by game_fanatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, the GMP 435 is $319.99 on Amazon.com, a tad out of my price range. And you say I'll need a DAC for my future set-up? So I'll have my headphones going into the DAC and an optical cable running from the DAC into the CD player? Sorry for my noobness
smily_headphones1.gif

You can start with the 435 directly from your CD, they are 35 ohm, and can be drive very easy. The DAC and the amp will improve the sound quality.

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by iHelp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the GMP 435 was more than $150... a lot more.

The AD700's being uncomfortable...
confused.gif

The M50, MS1, D1001, used SR225, and SRH440 first come to mind.

No, you would not need an amp with a receiver.

Yeah I know, a lot of people recommend the AD700s, but they just aren't comfortable to me...the foam pads don't form to my head very well, and they make my ears quite warm and itchy. Regardless, they aren't the right fit for me, and thank you very much for the recommendations!

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 18
Would I see a large difference between the Shure SRH440's and the 840's? The 840's are about 50% more on Amazon (most likely where I'll buy, since I have a $30 GC) but I'm worried that I wouldn't benefit from the extra money spent.

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 18
I was doing some other reading and had an additional question; I might be leaning towards a supra-aural pair of headphones, since I had a pair of Sennheiser HD437's I believe that were super comfortable. Are these types of headphones recommended, or are they avoided (perhaps due to poor sound quality, build quality, isolation, etc.). It seems like most high-quality headphones, apart from the Grado's, are circumaural. I may be leaning towards the Grado SR125i's if they would match my musical tastes. Thanks!

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by game_fanatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was doing some other reading and had an additional question; I might be leaning towards a supra-aural pair of headphones, since I had a pair of Sennheiser HD437's I believe that were super comfortable. Are these types of headphones recommended, or are they avoided (perhaps due to poor sound quality, build quality, isolation, etc.). It seems like most high-quality headphones, apart from the Grado's, are circumaural. I may be leaning towards the Grado SR125i's if they would match my musical tastes. Thanks!

Grado sounds like what you are looking for alright. However, I would recommend the Alessandro MS1i over the SR125's. Many say the 125 gives almost nothing over the SR80 and the Alessandro is said to be much more balanced sounding (and less fatiguing) than the SR series Grado's.

I've been considering trading up from my SR60's to the MS1i for quite a while. But with my HD580's and my D7000's around, I don't have a lot of motivation for this upgrade.
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 18
I have a pair of Senns 570 and love their comfort. I too bought a pair of ad700 because the Senns while comfortable, don't sound that great. I had the same problem with the ad700, they just weren't comfortable to me.

I'm essentially in the same boat and looking closely at both the Shure 440 and 840, and the Senns 555.

If comfort is a concern you absolutely do NOT want Alessandro or Grado. I had a pair of Grado 60, and while they sounded fantastic for certain music, they were a horror story for comfort.

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tutelary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of Senns 570 and love their comfort. I too bought a pair of ad700 because the Senns while comfortable, don't sound that great. I had the same problem with the ad700, they just weren't comfortable to me.

I'm essentially in the same boat and looking closely at both the Shure 440 and 840, and the Senns 555.

If comfort is a concern you absolutely do NOT want Alessandro or Grado. I had a pair of Grado 60, and while they sounded fantastic for certain music, they were a horror story for comfort.

Ahh yeah comfort is definitely a concern for me. There is a local store downtown (I live in Toronto) that sells the Grado's, but they are grossly overpriced compared to Amazon.com ($200 for the SR125i's?? Seriously??) but I can at least put them on and see how they feel. Where would one purchase the Alessandro's?

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tutelary /img/forum/go_quote.gif

While I prefer circumaural pads, I never thought the Grado's were uncomfortable at all. I sometimes have a bit of comfort issues after a long session with them, like 4+ hours of gaming, but otherwise they are fine.

Have you bent the headband to get a proper fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back