Headphone recommendation for tube amp + LP listening
Mar 25, 2015 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

politbureau

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Team Head-Fi,

I recently had my beloved pair of Grado RS2es stolen, and am looking for a replacement. Since it's been a while since I've looked into the headphone scene, I immediately ran to Head-Fi and started searching threads and reviews... only to get more confused than anything.

So I figured I'd create one of those ubiquitous "recommendation" threads and see what pops up. 

I will primarily be using these headphones for listening to classical, jazz and rock LPs, with some additional listening through my Macbook of lossless audio. Portability and cord management is not a concern, though comfort for long sessions is, as I often listen for several hours while working.

My Current Setup:
- Project-Audio Debut Carbon
- Grado Gold1
- Schiit Mani
- Schiit Lyr 2
- Schiit Bifrost Uber/USB

Budget is $500 +/-

Thanks Head-Fiers!

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 7
Mar 25, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks all!

I had a chance to audition a few pairs at my local shop, and have decided I want to pursue some Planar Magnetics - despite most being outside my $500 budget.. oh well!

I had a listen to some Audeze LCD-2Fs, Fostex TH-500RPs and an Oppo PM-2 next to a beat up pair of RS2Es, and was very impressed. The Fostex was the best of the bunch, which was somewhat surprising to me, and easily bested my old beloved Grados.

I'm currently trying to source some HifiMan HE-560s to compare, but at this point, it looks like the Fostex may be a winner.

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 7
  I would strongly recommend the Phillips X2 to you. They are very good all rounders. 
Another option is to get a used electrostatic system. 

I apologize I hadn't read this post (I hadn't refreshed the page!) before coming back to my laptop and penning my reply when I got in.

After reading numerous glowing reviews of the X2, I have added it to an Amazon US order I was just about to place, so I should have them within the week. I actually really like the massive earcup size (I have sensitive ears, and hate supra-aurals) and the open design and lengthy cord are ideal for my purpose.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back