Headphone Recommendation for Studio Mixing
Nov 16, 2009 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TeLight

New Head-Fier
Hey there guys, I should probably begin buy saying that I currently have HD555s and XF-I "something" sound card (its either platinum or titanium, extremely hard to tell). I was thinking on upgrading for next year.

Originally i was leaning towards the HD600, but now somewhat the HD650 since it can be had for only $60 more on Amazon. For the sound card i have it narrowed down to the HT Claro, with the Hi-Fi amplifier (1.5W into 32ohms), which should be more then enough to drive the any set of cans.

Do PCI sound cards have better sound quality then USB ones (dreaded PCM2707)? Without the USB chip, is linearity better achieved? If I'm completely wrong then, can someone recommend a USB amp/dac for $200.

The kind of music I mix is mostly electronic, although i love to use acoustic sounds such as guitars and pianos.

I should also note that completely cannot stand bright sounds, i dont like boomy bass as well, but my music have been know to sound kinda dull to some people due to my subjective musical bias(less treble), this is why I'm leaning more towards the HD650 as I have heard that it is not as bright as the HD600. A less brighter set cans means ill mix more treble, and hopefully sound good to other people and myself
beyersmile.png

Although neutrality is very important to me, but with just a tad less treble. (Really only a little bit)

Anyway, I want to thank all those that respond, and make suggestions.

P.S. Don't hurt my wallet too much
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 8
Nov 16, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TeLight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do PCI sound cards have better sound quality then USB ones (dreaded PCM2707)?

Not necessarily. The innards of a PC are some of the noisiest things (electrically, not just mechanically) to have ever come in electronics. The components tend to add extra noise of their own to the internal PCI soundcard's inputs and outputs. (And yes, even if the PCI sound card is placed in the slot that's farthest away from the noise-inducing components, there is still audible electrical noise present in the soundcard's inputs and outputs.) All that added non-harmonic noise makes the PC with its internal sound card less than optimal for serious music production.

And, of course, cheap PC soundcards are ill-suited to serious music production because many of those mangle the audio coming into the PC through their line inputs (through their drivers, which typically send all audio through the dreaded always-resampling kernel mixer even if you have Kernel Streaming or ASIO software installed).

By the way, if you add even a tad too much treble into your mixes, you can guarantee that nobody will even tolerate the sound of those recordings. In fact, even moderately boosted treble caused by you using too-dark headphones to mix with can make some listeners wince at even barely audible volume levels.

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 8
There is a reason every studio had Yamaha NS10 speakers and Sony MD7506 cans for around 20 years, they reveal (and sometimes attenuate) a bad mix, especially in the higher frequencies. If you could make it sound right in either of those you knew it would sound right in 95% of systems. The Sonys are sub $100 and have decent enough isolation to be used for vocalists or musicians you record if you end up using some other form of monitoring. Whatever turns out to be your monitor headphone of choice, always confirm your mixes with a few other set ups, both 'phones and speakers

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Well after doing a whole of a lot of research, I've decided to go with the k702.

Thanks Acix
smile.gif

You're welcome, just keep in mind that you'll need some amp source to drive the K-702.
k701smile.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

The kind of music I mix is mostly electronic, although i love to use acoustic sounds such as guitars and pianos.

Closed phones for the studio? I use the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250 ohm version) for everything, including mixes. I currently want to buy a second pair. That's how much I love them.

There is an 80 ohm version of the same phone which is easier to drive but I am told varies a bit sonically. I have no experience with it but if it has a similar sound you'll be pleased with anything you throw at them, in my opinion.

The DT 770 Pro are $199 USD.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 8
Sennheiser HD-25-1 II's should also do the trick. As far as amps for the K702's go, I hear the Heed CanAmp is a great counterpart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back