Headphone recommendation for my FiiO M6 and Chord Mojo needed
Jul 15, 2019 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ThatStKildaGuy

Previously known as ScuseMe
Hi All
I'll try to be as complete as possible.
I am a 55-year-old male
I run a FiiO M6 with a Chord Mojo
I listen from Tom Waits to Tchaikovsky. From Moby to Mozart. Mostly FLAC if I can
Most of my music is stored on an SD Card
My current headphones are:
Audeze LCD2 Fazor and HD650's ( however they are currently overseas so I can't use them)
I use IEM's UE900's and Etymotic LX4r
I need a pair of headphones that will be used at home in a quiet environment, but I like listening to my music loud.
I enjoy a BIG soundstage, instrument separation and placement
I'm after a pair of cans around US$300-400. No more, but I am happy to purchase second hand
I have been looking at
Beyer DT880 and 990 600 ohm
HiFiman 400i, 400s
I need COMFORTABLE CANS for long term listening.
I'd like to add that i really enjoy CLASSICAL & VOCAL UPLIFTING TRANCE
Any other details needed, please ask !

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #2 of 4
Out of the ones you mention I’d opt for the HE400s with a couple of Hifiman Focus pads on (makes the subbass reach all the way down to Mordor).
The DT-880 is not a can I’d consider non-fatiguing soundwise - it is however extremely comfortable. The DT-990 is far more easy for me to listen to for extended periods of time, but I guess that’s down to preferences. I know a couple of folks who really don’t get along with the 990s treble.

I know you didn’t mention it here, but I’d also look at something like the Audio Technica ATH-R70x. A 470 ohm can that veers close to the classic Sennheiser sound and adds it’s own charms. I really really dig this can for looong sessions: warm, detailed, airy and perhaps the most comfortable fullsized headphone I’ve ever had the pleasure of listening to. Weighs a little over 200 grams.
Plays extremely well with tubes too.

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for your reply. I'll also have a look at the Audio Technica ATH-R70x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back