Headphone recommendation for my father. Help me stop him from buying Bose.
Feb 25, 2015 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wgrish7

Head-Fier
Strict on these preferences.
Budget - $150, may stretch a bit.
Source - Android phone. Must have a in-line mic and button to take calls.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full-sized closed. Lightweight and comfortable for hours. Not bulky, will be used in public.
Requirements for Isolation - High, will be using on airplane and at the office.
Preferred tonal balance - Overall balanced, great for vocals. Looking for something a non-audiophile would enjoy, but no fake bass.
Preferred Music - Indie with vocals. Audio books.
Location - US, would like to order through Amazon.

My father is looking at some Bose... ...
I am sure there is something better out there! Thank you.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 9
Hey, guess what? I owned the Bose QuietComfort 15 for years and actually liked it much more than many headphones that were "supposed" to be better. It's only when I upgraded to the Focal Spirit Professional that the sound quality significantly increased, and even then, I still miss the exciting sound of the QC15. Which Bose headphone is he considering?

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 9
Requirements for Isolation - High, will be using on airplane and at the office.

Why not IEMs? The Master & Dynamic ME03 comes to mind, although it has an Apple remote. Don't know much with Android-specific controls aside from the HiFiMAN RE-300a.

Hey, guess what? I owned the Bose QuietComfort 15 for years and actually liked it much more than many headphones that were "supposed" to be better. It's only when I upgraded to the Focal Spirit Professional that the sound quality significantly increased, and even then, I still miss the exciting sound of the QC15. Which Bose headphone is he considering?

Agreed. The QC15 is really not bad.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 9
  Hey, guess what? I owned the Bose QuietComfort 15 for years and actually liked it much more than many headphones that were "supposed" to be better. It's only when I upgraded to the Focal Spirit Professional that the sound quality significantly increased, and even then, I still miss the exciting sound of the QC15. Which Bose headphone is he considering?

He would not like the noise-cancelling, because of batteries. Plus, they are quite expensive.
He was looking at the SoundTrue Around-Ear.

Why not IEMs? The Master & Dynamic ME03 comes to mind, although it has an Apple remote. Don't know much with Android-specific controls aside from the HiFiMAN RE-300a.

Just his preference.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 9
You're not going to want to hear this but IMHO the Bose AE2 is a decently good sounding closed headphone.  I use them all the time when I need portable isolation, while my better cans sit idle.

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 9
You're not going to want to hear this but IMHO the Bose AE2 is a decently good sounding closed headphone. I use them all the time when I need portable isolation, while my better cans sit idle.

I think that is the headphone they use on Hell's Kitchen. haha
Thank you for the recommendation.
Edit: Will the in line mic calling (click to answer) work for android?

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 9
Is the TrueSound the newest from Bose? I do not see it in the comparison chart.
The Sennheiser Momentum has a smart remote and is in the same price range. So is the Bose' off the considerations?

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 9
Is the TrueSound the newest from Bose? I do not see it in the comparison chart.
The Sennheiser Momentum has a smart remote and is in the same price range. So is the Bose' off the considerations?

The Bose SoundTrue is the new revision of the AE2. I think, if possible, he/you should compare them to other headphones in person before writing them off. The new Sennheiser MOMENTUM has improved upon itself as well, so they're both viable options.

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #9 of 9
The Truesound, sound good. And win against all the other closed ear type in terms of comfort, that I have tried. I find myself enjoying them just as much as my new HD-598's. They are just now coming out with a newer model...Truesound 2. Wider band and different colors. Not sure if there are any other differences. One thing I don't like about them...I think the cord is to thin for durability. But it is replaceable, and I believe there are thicker upgraded after market cords available.

Bottom line is, you might find your dad has a good grasp of headphones for himself, good sound, super comfortable. Not the absolute best sound perhaps, but an all around, fun and enjoyable set none the less. Now that the newer one's are out, the older ones are selling at a discount, you can find them once in a while around $80. At that price it's not a bad pick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back