Headphone recommendation between Sennheiser,Focal and HI-FI Man?
Mar 19, 2024 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Ran a

New Head-Fier
Looking at sales I can get the following all for around the same price and wondering any recommendation's. I listen to mostly vocal heavy vinyl music and some jazz/classical. Sennheiser HD 600,660S2 Focal Elegia and HI-FI Man Edition XS. I was also looking at the headphone cables from moon audio. If a cable upgrade would change the recommendation any I'm open to upgrading the cable as well. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 16
Can you stretch your budget a bit? I just got back from CanJam NYC and the ZMF Bokah open is insane good for the price. Amazing sound and looks. It comes out around May and there will be a wait. Skip the cable (not now) and put those funds to a better headphone.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 16
Forgot to ask... What is your source? Dac? Amp?

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 16
The Bokah is pretty easy to drive so you could use that source for now and update later. If the $1000 Bokah is too much, you really can't go wrong with the HD600. Classic! I also scales well with better sources. It all depends on budget.

Mar 20, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 16
Looking at sales I can get the following all for around the same price and wondering any recommendation's. I listen to mostly vocal heavy vinyl music and some jazz/classical. Sennheiser HD 600,660S2 Focal Elegia and HI-FI Man Edition XS. I was also looking at the headphone cables from moon audio. If a cable upgrade would change the recommendation any I'm open to upgrading the cable as well. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Edition XS sounds the best to me out of the 600, xs, elegia. But they have the reputation to break on occasion, but with good warranty i wouldnt mind.
The hd600 is also pretty nice, but it shouldnt cost the same as the 660s2 though. In that case id rather grab the 660s2.
I personally wont touch focal again, replacement parts are non existent and their pads too expensive (in Europe your paying 180 euro for a pair...).

Upgraded cables are only useful for looks or better length. The sound will not change.

Mar 20, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 16
Do you have a chance to listen? These are fairly divergent from each other. What speakers/headphones do you like/not like and are you looking for similar or different from those you like? Will you do used?

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 16
I don't have any of the 6 series, only a 58X but I believe it doesn't sound a world apart. In my opinion it's biggest attraction, the mids, are also its biggest detraction. You see, as lovely as timbre and midrange are it also sounds kind of claustrophobic. Everything is very close. I believe this is pretty much the same across the series with minor differences. Owners of all the models may tell you differently but I would hazard a guess that none of them sound remotely like a Hifiman (or most other headphones for the matter). My 58 certainly doesn't sound like my other headphones. Don't get me wrong, I love it but I love it for what it is just like the others. None are perfect.

I can make the Hifiman sound as engaging as the 58X but it will never sound the same way engaging.

All your suggested choices sound different so you should ask yourself (and perhaps mention here) what's most important for you, sound wise or get all of them and enjoy.

Vive la difference.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #10 of 16
Sennheiser is more natural sounding and hifiman is more analytic I would say. Really depends on what you prefer. For me it depends in what mood I am.

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #11 of 16
Id go for the HD600 or the Hifiman edition XS. It depends if you want a better tuning (HD600) or better technicallities (Edition XS).
If you could stretch the budget a bit more, id get a 2nd hand Focal Clear.

Mar 21, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 16
Agree with the previous posters--HD600 ticks all the boxes except easy to drive (no idea what they will sound like with the Marantz). And the HifiMan should be just fine, too.

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #14 of 16
Cables of the HFM line and the HD-600 can be improved on, but I'd put the money in the cans first, then worry about the cables later.

What irritates you when listening? Highs? Muddy bass? Lack of definition? Poor soundstage?

The HD-600 and XS can both seem treble happy to people that are sensitive to that. The XS has probably the best bass impact and then the 660 S2. Elegia is a mid centric headphone that's light in the bass and dark on the top.

At the lower priced side you might find the HD-650 the best fit - warmer then the 600, but its not transparent in the way of the XS or even the 600.

The HFM Ananda Stealth is a good headphone that has a more neutral take then the XS which is more tuned for popular tastes

Used would give you more choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back