Headphone recommendation, ~$700
Jan 18, 2016 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Qonmus

100+ Head-Fier
EDIT: Think of the ~$700 as more like a ceiling - obviously wouldn't mind spending less if I could get what I wanted at a lower price!

Looking for some new headphones.

I use a schiit Modi->Woo Audio WA6 (6SN7 tubes)-> HD600 right now.

Love the HD600, but I would like to try something that's maybe not as sterile? If that makes sense. At one point I owned some SR225i's - I'm thinking something in between HD600 and that. Got rid of them because of horrible discomfort. 

Really just something that is maybe a bit more lively! 

-Closed/Open, either is fine.
-Not interested in trying Grado again. Nice product, but I do a lot of head time and want something comfortable.
-Something that matches well with WA6 in either high or low impedance mode. It is transformer coupled (opposed to OTL), so I believe it should play nicely with a wide range. I like this amp a lot, and have gone through a number of tubes at this point. 

-Interested in trying some orthodynamic headphones, but I am concerned about LCD-2 being uncomfortable for long periods of time. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 4
The lcd series is pretty heavy, but if your main comfort issues are cup related not headband related then you should be fine. And they do make a good band so if individual hot spots have been an issue(akg) then it still might be ok. From a technical standpoint the he560 would be an excellent option but Idk if the sound signature is different enough. At a lower cost i would look at the he400i but again Idk if it's different enough.

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 4
Cool this is good, thanks. Those look interesting, I will read some reviews. Basically my position right now is, everyone says the LCD-2 is this amazing headphone, and I'm pretty set on getting a pair. However, I know there are options that I'm not considering, and I'm not planning on selling my HD600, so I want to get some other ideas! Based on the reviews of the LCD-2, it sounds like I will probably not be disappointed...but more info is always good. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 4
Another interesting option now that they are on sale @799 is the alpha dog prime. It's a hundred over budget. It is a closed headphone and probably the only one in that price/quality bracket. Read up on it too, if nothing else looking at the rest of the options will confirm what you already want, the lcd 2 is its own flavor if that's what you want I'm not sure there is anything else that will scratch that itch.

Edit :: i keep forgetting that the audeze el8 congress in closed too, worth checking out as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back