Headphone Recommendation <$600
Jul 17, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you enjoyed the Grado SR line, how about trying the RS line? A used RS-1 is well within your budget. So is the RS-2, and you might want to look at the HF-2 while it is still available.

x2 on used RS-1, I really love this baby's midrange, colored but sweet, but may not match the comfort level of GS1K. I'm not sure about HF-2 comfort tho.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on used RS-1, I really love this baby's midrange, colored but sweet, but may not match the comfort level of GS1K. I'm not sure about HF-2 comfort tho.

At the August NorCal meet I'm looking forward to potentially hearing some AT headphones, beyerdynamic DT48's, HF2, and PS1000.

Jul 17, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrismercurio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the August NorCal meet I'm looking forward to potentially hearing some AT headphones, beyerdynamic DT48's, HF2, and PS1000.

After reading your likes, I doubt you'll like the DT48's.. They are the definition of love or hate headphone. Just do a search.. You will get.. Worst sounding headphone ever.. To.. These headphones are simply amazing..

DT48 can be engaging with tube amping.. They do have a awesome mid range, & human voices sound extremely life like & clear.. But the mids are not sweetened, lush, or intimate.. They also do best with unamped instruments, acoustics, & heavy vocals.. Genre specific to a fault.. Jazz, Classical, small quartets, heavy vocals, they are excellent.. Rock/R&B/Hip Hop.. Forget about it.

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #34 of 34
I actually have high hopes for the DT48. Classic products that have stood the test of time are classic for a reason. They come from a long gone era when some of the smartest guys in the world were working on audio reproduction. The only thing I'm wary about is the fact that they are closed, but as they are a instrument of measurement it is something I understand completely.

I picked up a pair of SA5000's to use in the meantime. These also have some polarized opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back