Headphone recommendation (~$300, indie rock)
Jun 22, 2012 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HeroicPenguin

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm recently looking into getting a nicer pair of headphones, mainly for home use. I currently have a Sennheiser HD-25 and Audio Technica ESW-9 -- I definitely prefer the HD-25, especially the PRaT it has. I use both to-go and would love to have a better pair for home use.

What I'm looking for:

1. $300 or so, give or take
  2. Mainly for indie/classic rock (~90%)
  3. Looking for similar PRaT as the HD-25, but a larger soundstage. I like a treble sparkle, some quality bass (not too much, the HD-25 is pretty much perfect for bass levels), would love to have emphasis on mids.
  4. Open or closed, doesn't matter
  5. For home use

I currently have a Leckerton UHA-4 as an amp, so it would be great if I could run it out of that, although I might look at a Darkvoice or Schitt Asgard in the future. I've mainly been looking at the Hifiman HE-300 (HE-400 is a possibility if it's really good), the Sennheiser HD-600, and possibly the Grado 325i (although the treble scares me a bit). I've previously owned Denon headphones (the D-1001), so the D2000 could be a possibility. I won't have a chance to try out the headphones since I live in a rural area, so you're recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Hmmmm, me thinks the Senn HD600 are pretty sweet cans for that music and you can get them for $300.

P.S. you have great taste in music :D

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Oh and the 600s fit your other requirements almost perfectly. The bass is of very high quality but a bit lacking in oomph. The mids are a bit emphasized and very good. And being a fully open-back headphone the soundstage is great.

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Hmmmm, me thinks the Senn HD600 are pretty sweet cans for that music and you can get them for $300.

P.S. you have great taste in music :D

Yeah, I was thinking the HD600 would be about right. I think they can be driven with my current amp too (although probably not terribly well). I was a bit worried about the "veil" that it has, but it seems like it's more of a problem with the HD650. I'm sure that my HD-25 has more PRaT, but the clarity of the HD600 will probably be better.

And thanks for the compliment!

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 8
Meh.. the 'veil' isn't a 'problem'. IMO. After experiencing the 600s and comparing them to my 770s which are a completely different can with a huge treble spike... I find there to be no veil. Just a flatter frequency curve that is easier on the ears.

You'll have no problem at all driving the 600s with any amp, for the most part. They're too quiet when plugged into a really weak mobile device (my android cell phone for example, which leaves a lot to desired in terms of volume output) but not nearly as much so as as my 600 ohm 770s. And they seem to be a whole lot less sensitive to how much power they are getting, compared to the 600 ohm 770s. For the most part they sound exactly the same no matter what I plug them into. I can't say the same for the 770s... they can be rather picky.

Jun 22, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back