Headphone Recomendations Requested(with criteria) ***Ignore - Moving to Consolidated Thread***
Apr 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Scars Unseen

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone.  I've lurked for a bit, but decided I'd register to get some advice.  I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pros for the last 8 years, and since my daughter decided that they looked better with broken plastic, I figured it was a fine time for an upgrade.  So here's some of the things that might affect my choice.

I will be using the headphones for gaming(and will likely be pursuing a virtual surround solution, which I've been reading about on Nameless's thread), but also as my primary source of music listening(from FLAC rips of my CDs played through Foobar on my PC).  My music tastes are fairly diverse, but some artists that commonly see play are Porcupine Tree, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, and OCRemix(video game music remixes).  

Additionally, I often use my headphones while my wife and daughter are asleep in the adjoining room.  I have never used open headphones before, and don't know how much of an issue using that style would be, so some advice in that area would be appreciated.  

Price-wise, I am looking at something under $300, but am not adverse to spending extra for an amp if needed(I tried using a FiiO E11 with my HD 280s but didn't see much difference, though that could be because I was using an mp3 on my Motorola Xoom as the source).

Finally, I will likely be using these for hours at a time, so comfort is definitely a consideration.  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 4
I don't think you will want an open headphone. They can leak sound pretty loudly. I have the Ultrasone HFI-580 and really love it for that music (we have really similar taste), especially Porcupine Tree. For something more natural sounding and not quite as bass-heavy, check out the Shure SRH840 and SRH940. Unfortunately there aren't many good closed cans from $150-300.

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 4
I would say look at the beyerdynamic dt880, they are semi open and they leak but not really that much, and they have a good sound stage for gaming and you can wear them for hours and be comfortable 

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 4
Another question.  I've heard about a Japanese line called Stax that operate on a different principle than most common headphones.  Generally expensive, but since I'm in Japan, I might be able to find an older model for a decent price(my wife is ridiculously good at finding deals).  If I were able to find one of the lower end models, such as the SR-303, would that be worth a purchase for my purposes?

EDIT:  and that's what I get for assuming forum codes work the same as my usual hangouts....  here's the link I was looking at for specs:   http://www.hifimonster.com/stax-sr-303-classic-electrostatic-earspeakers-jp.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back