Headphone Question..
Oct 15, 2018 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wbp262

New Head-Fier
Greetings everyone..
I am brand new to your site and hope I’ll get some feedback from you all about a question I have about a pair of Sennheiser 650. This past year I have downsized from Home Theater to only streaming music. I own a Peachtree Nova 220se and a SONOS streaming music system. Here’s my issue: my Sennheiser Headphones aren’t loud as I expected them to be. I was recently told I need more power than what my Peachtree amp is providing, which I’m shocked to hear. Keep in mind.. I’m a cop by trade and have no idea what specs mean that I’ve read. My budget for a good sounding pre-amp is around $500. I enjoy listening to blues, classical type music. Can someone recommend something for me that will help me achieve the overall output from my cans that I expect? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 15, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 4
Greetings everyone..
I am brand new to your site and hope I’ll get some feedback from you all about a question I have about a pair of Sennheiser 650. This past year I have downsized from Home Theater to only streaming music. I own a Peachtree Nova 220se and a SONOS streaming music system. Here’s my issue: my Sennheiser Headphones aren’t loud as I expected them to be. I was recently told I need more power than what my Peachtree amp is providing, which I’m shocked to hear. Keep in mind.. I’m a cop by trade and have no idea what specs mean that I’ve read. My budget for a good sounding pre-amp is around $500. I enjoy listening to blues, classical type music. Can someone recommend something for me that will help me achieve the overall output from my cans that I expect? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You need more than just a preamp, or a primarily preamp design with a headphone amp output as an afterthought or bonus feature. What you need is a full blown headphone amp (if you need a preamp for a power amp to drive speakers, most have that).

Problem is, your Peachtree DAC doesn't have fixed voltage outputs for a headphone amp, only preamp outputs for a power amp.

If you're not using the Nova 220se to drive speakers, just replace it with something like an AudioGD NFB-11 or Burson Conductor V2. If you still need to power speakers, use either of those with a power amp (via their preamp output), something like a First Watt F6 or an Emotiva XPA-2.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 4
Greetings everyone..
Hi there,
I use the Peachtree nova65se with the HD 650 and have never been wanting for volume. My nova65se has a discrete headphone amp that's more than adequate, and I assume the 220 is the same. People like to go on and on about how much power the HD 650 require, but I don't think it's really true. I've used them with both a JDSLabs CMoyBB and a Fiio E12A, and both drive the HD 650 to a satisfying volume. The Peachtree would absolutely drive them to deafening levels.
How low is the volume you're getting? I'm usually comfortable with it just below 9 o'clock. It sounds to me like there might be something wrong with the headphone amp in your Peachtree. My experience is that Peachtree's quality control isn't the best (my refurbished unit had/has a wonky volume pot), so I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there were something wrong, unfortunately. You might consider contacting Peachtree about a warranty repair, if that's possible. You could also contact a local HiFi shop about repair if it's out of warranty.

Also, I assume your hearing is up to snuff / not damaged from firearms, etc?

Finally, is this your first experience with "HiFi" (or mid-fi, or whatever)? The distortion on lower end equipment can cause it to seem louder than it actually is. Conversely, lower distortion can cause good equipment to sound less loud. Sometimes it's just a matter of getting used to the sound (referred to as "mental burn-in" on Head-Fi). A really emphasized bass or vocal region can also cause a headphone or speakers to sound louder than normal, if that's what you're used to.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 4
Greetings everyone..
LEO? COOL :)
I would assume you are connecting the SONOS Straming music system, to the Peachtree Nova 220se, using S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) cable (would be my first choice)?
Or (my second choice) going analog audio signal, RCA to RCA?
And maxing out the volume control on the SONOS streaming music system?
To feed the strongest (digitaly) audio signal, to the Peachtree?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back