headphone question
Dec 18, 2001 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

supersonic

New Head-Fier
I just got a pair of aiwa sound cancelling headphones. theyre unbelievable but i can see small brown spots on the black foam part by the ear that wasnt there before. ive heard of this before but is it normal? will it continue to get bigger or is it an initial breaking in of the headphones?

Dec 18, 2001 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 18
Ahhhh.....

dude, chances are, you're going to get bombarded with recommendations to return those suckers and get something that sounds good and actually blocks out sound, LOL!

What did you pay for them?

Dec 18, 2001 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

they sound amazing.

If you think *those* sound amazing, wait until you hear some really good heaphones -- you'll really be floored. I mean that seriously -- I've used the Aiwa NC phones before, and while the NC technology may be useful for some people, their audio performance leaves a lot to be desired.

As for the spots, I'm at a loss... do you store them in a damp environment?

Dec 18, 2001 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 18
Yea, man, they might sound amazing compared to what you have heard before, but I will bet money that, in sound quality, my $20 KSC-50's will best them....

And I'm also willing to bet that my modded Sony MDR-EX70LP's can take them on on their own turf--in isolation and sound quality.

Dec 18, 2001 at 11:28 PM Post #9 of 18
and gluegun, dont be so quick to count these out. they have a cool trick of having a microphone on each side and cancelling out noises which would otherwise get in. its pretty unbelievable. it makes everything sound sooo much better. i dont care if KSC's have better sound range or whatever, i think noise cancelling helps more than range. plus these are the first headphones where i can really get bass

Dec 19, 2001 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by supersonic
and gluegun, dont be so quick to count these out. they have a cool trick of having a microphone on each side and cancelling out noises which would otherwise get in. its pretty unbelievable. it makes everything sound sooo much better. i dont care if KSC's have better sound range or whatever, i think noise cancelling helps more than range. plus these are the first headphones where i can really get bass

Well, as far as noise cancelling goes, I bet they work pretty good. But I bet you'd **** yourself if you heard a REAL good set of cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2001 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 18
true. ill bet ur right but im not really THAT into headphones. im an avid music listener but its not like i need a pair of headphones with perfect sound so i can get great sounds out of DVDs or whatever. plus i wanted something that would get rid of that awful noise on airplanes and this handles low frequency sounds great. i cant hear computer bumps and bleeps at all. (this is without music even on- just the noise cancelling). plus i feel like the dude straight out of "Jet Set Radio" when i wear em haha

Dec 19, 2001 at 12:35 AM Post #12 of 18
I have never seen brown spots on headphone cushions that aren't very old. I have no clue what they are. They might be moldy - they don't need to be very dirty to get mold, but if they are in a damp environment it could happen. The pads could also just be faded, or maybe come into contact with some bleach somehow.

I haven't heard the Aiwa noise cancelling headphones at all, but I would tend to believe that the KSC-50s sound better myself, I own a pair of them and they sound incredible for $20. I also doubt they have much deep bass, they might have a boomy midbass (The KSC-50s do too), which can give the impression of deep bass, but while my nice Sennheisers don't have as much obvious thump as the KSC-50s, they play deeper, cleaner, and much tighter.

If you like the noise cancelling part, you need to try a pair of Etymotics. The less expensive ER6s cost $117 and will block out more then twice as much sound as the Aiwas, and the Ety 4 series will block out close to four times as much sound out. Pure music, little to no outside noises.

Dec 19, 2001 at 12:35 AM Post #13 of 18
Dude, all active noise cancelling headphones have that.....

and we have had many, many people review basically all of the ANC headphones out there....including yours....and guess what?

Passive *whoops* it, when done right....

I have heard some ANC cans, and they aren't that great. You've been brainwashed, friend. Get a set of Ety's.
smily_headphones1.gif
That'll educate you real real quick.

but, here's the thing.... you COULD HAVE gotten the Sony MDR-EX70LP's for $37.... which should sound and isolate better than those.....

Dec 19, 2001 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 18
ive heard the EX70LPs. their alright. very high trebles and high sounds though. i get no bass. i really like how when the noise cancelling is on it keeps the sound all in that area around my ear so the bass is doubled by like two times. i dont know what u got against em. their probably the best *budget* headphones on the market

Users who are viewing this thread

Back