Headphone quality in general
Jun 8, 2008 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Devon8822

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, just a quick dumb question... ok, I know that their are high quality headphones of all types, but in general which type has the highest quality sound, not counting isolation, etc... just sound quality... Would it be IEMs/earbuds, open headphones, or closed headphones? So say, each of them at the same price range which type would have the best quality?

I know its a pretty general question but I reckon you guys can give me an answer, to give me an idea.

Second, thing... What is the major differences between open and closed headphones?

third thing, another broad/hard to answer question but, help me out. So I am trying to decide if I should get headphones for chilling at home, or if i should just get speakers... What is considered better quality more less? Obviously its possible to get better quality speakers than some headphones and vis versa, but in general. If I got a top of the line pair of bookshelf speakers, and a top of the line headphones with amp... Which one will give me that tonal bliss to just disappear into... so really... which can achieve the higher sound quality?

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #2 of 9
Questions and notes:
Headphones are more intimate.
Speakers: Do you live with others? Near neighbors?
Do you like the feel of IEMs/earbuds? They provide great isolation (but I can't stand them for so long due to comfort issues which can be solved by getting custom molds).
Open headphones provide a better soundstage than closed ones and are more "airy" and can let others around you know what you are listening to.

I choose closed headphones for listening enjoyment.

Jun 8, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 9
by Quality if u mean as Original as intended by the Artist...then my Answer is Open Circumaural.

IEMs are more for Travelling Audiophile who feels embarrased to wear Full size.

These days its IEM v/s Open

Closed are a different Breed....more for Professionals like DJ's , Cameramen, Studio recorders, Video editors etc.

Jun 8, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #4 of 9
Generally speaking I'd prefer speakers... but comparatively "good" speakers to my rig run in the 4 figure region, roughly 6x to 7x the cost of a reasonable headphone setup.

Dropping 600$ into a rig for headphones (Amp/source/phones) results in some pretty nice sound. I don't think I could get speakers I'd tolerate for less than 600 a piece... that's not including the standalone source, receiver... possibly a pre-amp.

If you're concerned about open versus closed, both CAN sound fantastic. Compare the top end headphones and you can see a little of each. GENERALLY open phones tend to be a better bargain, but that's all really dependent on the phone you have in mind.

Anyway, I hope that's what you're after.

Jun 8, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 9
I live in an apartment complex so speakers really aren't an option especially with my listening habits and the hours I keep on my days off.

I can't alter the shape of this room either, or change the carpet, or mess with the walls, and this room has pretty lousy acoustics. Headphones were the obvious choice.

Jun 8, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #6 of 9
It's usually much easier to get great sound quality from open phones than closed ones and there is a much bigger choice available. There are exceptions but they tend to be pricey and many are still not very isolating.. in or out like the Audio Technicas. My preference is for electrostatics, which are open with only very few exceptions. IEMs have a whole set of their own problems, often inconvenient is you have to talk to people frequently, uncomfortable to many, even with custom molds and limited resale options, especially with customs as the only ears they fit are yours. Also, comparatively expensive for the SQ. They give the best isolation and portability.

Jun 8, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #7 of 9
When compare quality in same price range, I feel Speakers > Full size (open or Close)> Earbuds > IEMs

also, It's hard to compare between difference type of phones.
It's hard to find earbuds that cost > 160$. IEMs are ok but I feel low cost IEMs give me very bad quality.
smily_headphones1.gif

When I listen with closed full size headphones, I feel like I'm listen music in the room and feel more body in the song. Open headphones give me feel like background music. But not every headphone make me feel like this. So depend on model design.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 9
if you have the option to get speakers, get them! imagine your whole body vibrating in compare to only your head for headphones. Speakers are much better as you feel the music better, but it is obviously more expensive, takes more space, and LEAKS a lot of sound! lol. if you live in an apartment, then dont get it unless nobody is living there. Also there are no comfortability issues with speakers.

open headphones leak sound, and let sound in, but closed headphones prevents this, atleast tries to. but i dont know about the quality, havent heard open ones before, but im perfectly comfortable with closed.

also headphones are much better than earbuds, like you cannot compare them. The bass and everything else you get in headphones, rather good ones, the earbuds can never achieve. earbuds is only for outside wearing and for transportation.
At same price range, headones i reckon is still better, but it is definitely worth it to pay a little more to get some really good ones.

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aruna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When compare quality in same price range, I feel Speakers > Full size (open or Close)> Earbuds > IEMs

also, It's hard to compare between difference type of phones.
It's hard to find earbuds that cost > 160$. IEMs are ok but I feel low cost IEMs give me very bad quality.
smily_headphones1.gif

When I listen with closed full size headphones, I feel like I'm listen music in the room and feel more body in the song. Open headphones give me feel like background music. But not every headphone make me feel like this. So depend on model design.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have to disagree with most of this.
You're not going to get the same sound quality in speakers for a price that's even close to a good headphone setup.

From a quality for price point of view I'd say as a general rule of thumb:
Circumaural open>Circumaural closed>Supra aural open>Supra aural closed>Earbuds>IEMs>Speakers
(you could argue about switching speakers and IEMs because good iem's are pretty expensive and still have no soundstage to speak of)

Generally open headphones have a better soundstage than closed headphones (there are a few exceptions), which means they sound more three dimensional and transfer more spatial information.

Saying that open headphones sound like background music makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back