Headphone Phase goof, how can I tell?
Mar 29, 2006 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

RobxMcCarthy

100+ Head-Fier
Well I'm paranoid as usual... I recabled my headphones and it all went brilliantly except I took off the wires before marking positive and negative. There was a purple dash on each headphone so I used that as positive. However it was on the opposite side for each, so I'm wondering why that would happen (wouldn't the driver be the same?) So now I'm thinking that I messed up the phase. The headphones sound great but i'm just paranoid, Is there any easy way to test this?

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 36
Judging from speaker experience, if they are Out-Of-Phase there will be dramatically reduced bass response (at least this is true with speakers . . . I haven't taken into account your head being between the drivers
confused.gif
) LOL

if they are Both wired wrong, but the same way, you should perceive little or no difference.

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 36
Play a recording with strong mono content (such as a centered voice image). The voice should sound like it's coming from inside your head if the phase is wired correctly. Otherwise it will sound very indistinct.

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 36
Hmm.. Anyone know if the beyerdynamic DT-770 drivers are wired opposite from eachother or if they'd be identical for sure?

IE the left prong is positive, right is negative for one.. Left is negative, right is positive for the other... Or if they should be the same..

They were marked with a purple marker, but that's it.

Mar 30, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 36
I am sure stuff goes unmarked, but about all I have come across have had some marking varying from marker dot/line, to paint dot, to etching.
If all you can find is a purple marker line the fact that it appears on only one terminal, but on both drivers, makes it look much less coincidental and more intentional as if placed there as an indicator of polarity, (+) is my guess.
Just hook em the same for both sides.
Oh, and I'd advise against using "the battery test".
If it sounds good it must be right, enjoy
580smile.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 36
Many headphones use the identical drivers for both sides, in this case when looking down at the rear of the driver the dot would be to the same side on each.
However, suppose they had a reason to manufacture 2 different and unique drivers, one for left and one for right . . . . perhaps they'd even find reason to wind them in opposite directions. In this case the drivers would have the opposite terminals marked . . . . as yours appear to be.

So, what we next need to determine is does my theory/supposition have any merit, and if so then which type do you have?

hey, maybe a real expert will come along and help us out here soon
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 36
Many headphones use the identical drivers for both sides, in this case when looking down at the rear of the driver the dot would be to the same side on each.
However, suppose they had a reason to manufacture 2 different and unique drivers, one for left and one for right . . . . perhaps they'd even find reason to wind them in opposite directions. In this case the drivers would have the opposite terminals marked . . . . as yours appear to be.

So, what we next need to determine is does my theory/supposition have any merit, and if so then which type do you have?

hey, maybe a real expert will come along and help us out here soon
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #10 of 36
Believe me if you think you're just paranoid they are wiried correctly. Out of phase wiring is one of the most distinctive mistakes you will ever hear. Think of your world turned inside out. Actually it's a great effect to listen to when you're high.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #11 of 36
I beg to differ. If you invert the phase of a signal, you will not hear the difference.

You will probably only hear a difference if the signal has a large DC offset.
Also, if you are using speakers you may start to get some different cancellation areas than normal.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paragon
I beg to differ. If you invert the phase of a signal, you will not hear the difference.

If you invert the phase of only one of the channels then the difference is huge indeed. Inverting the phase of both channels is a wholly different situation, and its audibility has been the subject of argument for many decades...

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #13 of 36
OK.. I should have messed with a mono signal converted into stereo so both signals are the same. What I said before holds for a standard stereo recording where the signals differ.

The only way you can tell if there is a phase change is if you have the same signal in both channels (Mono to stereo) and invert one of the channels. It doesn't matter which is inverted, both situations sound the same. It sounds like it is more in your head and muffled somewhat. It is like your brain is comparing the signals and with one inverted, it notices a slight difference however you cannot figure out which channel is inverted.

If both are inverted, you are back to the original sound.

Doing this on a normal stereo audio signal where the signals differ, you cannot tell the difference in any situation.

Is that a better explanation?

If you played a regular mono signal through both channels, and you know what it should sound like, you could tell if the drivers were out of phase. However, figuring out which was reversed, I don't think you could do just by listening.

Mar 30, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #14 of 36
easiest way to tell is to visually compare it to an unmodded one, with its wires still in-tact.

So...
What kind of headphone is it?

lets start with that...

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back