Headphone pads, do they have an ideal shape?
Apr 20, 2011 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Roller

Headphoneus Supremus
Just like the title of the thread asks, I wonder if there is a significant difference between circular, oval and square shaped pads, as well as if these shapes represent different changes in the sound signature of both open and closed headphones. Those changes might include soundstage, increase or reduction on any range of the frequency response, sound pressure, etc.

Thoughts on this?

EDIT: Would there be any different pad shapes that could bring something innovative to the audio field?

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 9
Perhaps - I certainly think that oval shaped pads (that shape the ear) or circular ones may be better than square ones. I'm not sure how they change the sound - what I have noticed is that on phones with poorly designed pads - it really effects the sound in a negative way -- I would say that despite comfort - the B & W P5s are an example of this - the muffled sound of the phones are in part due to the padding on the P5 pads.....

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 9
I have always been a fan of round pads for some reason, though I do wonder how different oval ones like from HD600 or HD650 might sound, not to mention the slightly off shaped HD800 pads. But on the other hand, what about many Stax pads that are just plain polygonal? I'm sure there are plenty of variables to be taken in account, yet I don't have enough background on this
frown.gif

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
And why is that? What exactly changes from circular to oval pads, that makes them sound better?

IMO, because more sound is directed into the ear than circular pads,where sound can be lost behind the ears.

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
IMO, because more sound is directed into the ear than circular pads,where sound can be lost behind the ears.

Interesting. Though, that would be one reason why I would prefer circular pads, precisely because the sound circles around the ear better.

Apr 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 9
I think the pads are one thing and how the driver is set up and tuned is another. Many of the higher-fi headphones seems to have either circular or oval pads/openings, so there's likely something to that in both engineering and clearly in comfort and creating a proper seal.

Then again, the only headphones I can think of that don't have circular or oval earpads are fasion headphones like the one from Marshal, Panasonic and JVC, some Sony PiiQ model (all square and all low-end).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back