Headphone out to Line in?
Dec 12, 2015 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

headsetgo

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Is it wise to go from a mobile dac/amp headphone out socket into a full size amp?
My Dac is a Oppo HA2 which does not have enough power to drive my HP's.
I was unsure if amped out (headphone out) to input would cause damage over time?
The HA 2 does have a Lineout but does not carry as much bass boost which is the reason
for going Headphone out.

Thanks

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 5
It's safe, just make sure the gain on the first amp is not too high as to clip the input of the second amp. If you have excessively high voltage going into the input of the amp, that could conceivably cause some damage. According to the specs, the HA2 can output up to 3V (30mW into 300Ohm = 3V), which I doubt could damage anything. Line level is typically 2V, so you can just use the low gain setting or reduce the volume a bit and you should be good.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 5
  It's safe, just make sure the gain on the first amp is not too high as to clip the input of the second amp. If you have excessively high voltage going into the input of the amp, that could conceivably cause some damage. According to the specs, the HA2 can output up to 3V (30mW into 300Ohm = 3V), which I doubt could damage anything. Line level is typically 2V, so you can just use the low gain setting or reduce the volume a bit and you should be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back