Headphone out or Line out...??
Jul 11, 2008 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Townyj

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok im still fairly new to all this, but ive gone ahead and bought a few portable amps/headphones over the last month to run from my Iaudio U5. So far i run the amp straight off the headphone jack and then plug my headphones into the jack on the amp. But ive read that this will only increase the sound and not actually the quality of the music. Can someone clarify this with me. Will i have to go out and purchase another mp3 player with a line out to get full potential of my amp/headphone setups. To me it seems i have gained some quality when i run my MS-1's amped, unamped i can very well tell the difference. This has totally confused me now.

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #2 of 10
/bump hmmm... This has probably been asked already somewhere. Ive been looking, a lil help
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 10
Lol yeah im just at work.... Its going slow, so all im doing is checking this every 5 mins haha.
smily_headphones1.gif
Im just hoping i didnt spend all this money for no reason ugh...

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 10
Too much of a rookie to try to answer myself but as I've been researching this subject (have been looking for DAP with line-out) I might be of some help anyway.
First of all, check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/li...hone-out-9231/ It's more or less about the same thing.
Second, finding a good player with a line out is harder than you think, it's possible but many of the good ones are no longer in production. Good luck.

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 10
I explained it here.

Essentially - a decent line out will be better than the headphone out in most cases but an amped headphone out is better than a standard headphone out. Although I should imagine it depends entirely on what equipment you're amping rather than a general rule.

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 10
Just got myself a 80gig Ipod on the way with a LOD, so hopefully i can mess around and find out some differences etc.
smily_headphones1.gif
Ahhh more money on sound, what a wonderful thing!

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 10
It really isn't very complicated... The difference in quality between line out and headphone out has been getting smaller and smaller with each successive generation- it was never a huge difference to begin with. The real reason to amp the output is because of the impedance of your headphones. If it needs it, you might as well use the line out. If it doesn't require amping, just use the headphone out.

See ya
Steve

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 10
smily_headphones1.gif
Yeah i have Yuin Pk1's with an Ibasso D2 boa and after spending all the money over the past month, thinking i wasnt getting the most out of my gear made me go ahead and purchase the Ipod with Turbo Dock etc. So im looking forward to using it all together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back