Headphone order sometime next week. Need input.
Apr 30, 2007 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Dark_Archon

Head-Fier
My budget is < $115, and as of now I'm thinking of going with Sennheiser HD555s. These headphones are meant as computer speaker replacements and will be worn for long periods of time, so comfort is very important.

I listen to a wide range of stuff, from Holst, Dvorak, and Borodin, to Joe Satriani, Dream Theater and Metallica. These would also be used for movies.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #2 of 19
As long as no isolation is needed that is a very good choice. Really the only other consideration is the Alessandro MS1s (depending how comfortable you feel they are).

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 19
Apr 30, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a pair of HD-580? They sound very good, are not too shabby unamped and scale very well with future upgrades. You can usually find them here for about $120-130, still close enough to your budget.

Cheers!

The best price I saw was $140 from B&H but isn't 300Ω Impedance a little high unamped? I'll keep those in mind if I can scrounge together a little more money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foshizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or how about Audio Technica ATH-AD700 from audiocubes.com, I ordered a pair last weekend and hope to have them this week.

http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Au...eadphones.html

Those sound like they would be comfortable for extended use, and cost the same amount as the HD555s. How good do they sound? Anybody want to second that suggestion?

I'll keep looking around online, I'm going to be up all night anyways because of 6AM course registration.

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Archon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those sound like they would be comfortable for extended use, and cost the same amount as the HD555s. How good do they sound? Anybody want to second that suggestion?

I found the a700s to be comfortable for long sessions, but some have commented that they can make the ears warm, so there is some issue of personal preference. They are certainly a good headphone choice for unamped listening.

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Archon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How comfortable are the MS-1s? Would it be a problem wearing them for extended periods of time?

even though i love the ms-1's, they are hell for the first few times you wear them. your ears get used to them after awhile though. i don't feel anything even with bowl pads now. i definitely give the comfortability factor to my 595's which are almost exactly like the 555's in terms of comfortability. there's no contest. however i prefer the ms-1's for music more. i see that you listen to a wide range of music. the ms-1's are better for rock, than classical. the 555's can handle classical better, but they don't excel at rock very well. think of ms-1's excelling in rock as opposed to the 555's which don't excel at anything, but are great all-rounders. this is of course speaking in your price range.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 19
What's your take on the ATH-AD700's then Souperman?
I think I remember reading in another thread that you own or have owned a pair of these?.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 19
I second the HD580's if you can get some more money. Cause there great to start with and only get better once you get some cheap upgrades such as HD600 grills and HD650 cable.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 19
The HD555s are very comfortable, and they're very good for movies. I also use mine for listening to music on the computer (they're an upgrade from the fairly low-level, 201's, which I found physically warm to wear). With no audio playing, you can hear almost everything around you as clearly as if you weren't wearing headphones ... and they don't leak sound outward all that much, at reasonable volumes. As souperman said, they're great all-rounders in your price range.

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #14 of 19
My vote goes for the MS-1....uh...maybe the HD580....uh maybe the MS-1 or the HD580. Both excellent phones depending on which kind of music you like when!

I'd find that a hard choice too!

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #15 of 19
I vote for the A700's. I listen for 10-12 hours everyday off my computer. I find them extremely comfortable, and they are closed, but at the same time dont cut you out completely from surroundings. And they sound excellent IMO.

MS1's might not be comfortable for long listening sessions IMHO. HD555's are OK sounding. Personal preference is A700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back