Headphone options
Oct 23, 2021 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

thepiper92

Head-Fier
I currently have a set of Oppo PM3s, with a Moon Audio Blue Dragon and Hidizs S9 Pro. I have a HIP Dac 2 on order...really hoping it's a good choice. I can't find much else portable unless I went for the Diablo, but it seems like that isn't a good option either, as its power results in volume being close to the point where channel imbalance is present. So if you have any other DAC suggestions, I'd be happy to hear.

As for headphones, I'm looking to get the Kennerton Magni, but the Campfire Cascade and Focal Clear are also attractive options. And there is also the Harmonicdyne Poseidon, which is cheap currently, but may end up being barely an improvement over the PM3, or even a downgrade. I'm not saying the PM3 is bad, but I do want to experience something grander.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 15
Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT or Aeon 2 are natural upgrades from the PM-3, either open or closed depending on what you need

Oct 24, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 15
Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT or Aeon 2 are natural upgrades from the PM-3, either open or closed depending on what you need
So...I should upgrade to a PM headphone? Is any standard driver headphone a downgrade now? I love the PM3s, so much that I have been repairing them (the pleather wore out after 6 years of semi-regular use).

As I live in Canada, I'm trying to stick to what's available here to support vendors like Headphone Bar...plus ordering from non-Canadian sites typically racks up shipping costs, wait times, potential issues with delivery (I live in a wee town in Northern Canada...much further and I'm hugging polar bears), and PayPal, I'm sure profits a few bucks in exchange rates.

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 15
It has been so long since I’ve heard the PM 3 and just have to say from memory I know I didn’t care for them much but that is just me . Have not heard any Kennertons but would like to and the Focal Clear is a solid good headphone. I also just didn’t care for the Campfire Cascade it might just be me and have not hers the Poseidon either.

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 15
So...I should upgrade to a PM headphone? Is any standard driver headphone a downgrade now? I love the PM3s, so much that I have been repairing them (the pleather wore out after 6 years of semi-regular use).

As I live in Canada, I'm trying to stick to what's available here to support vendors like Headphone Bar...plus ordering from non-Canadian sites typically racks up shipping costs, wait times, potential issues with delivery (I live in a wee town in Northern Canada...much further and I'm hugging polar bears), and PayPal, I'm sure profits a few bucks in exchange rates.

I don't think you should rule out dynamic driver headphones at all. I'd probably go with a Focal headphone from what I see of Headphone Bars online selection, I think they would be a definite upgradr. I don't think the Cascade is a clear upgrade from the PM-3 personally, though I've only heard it briefly, unless you really love overpowering bass

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 15
It has been so long since I’ve heard the PM 3 and just have to say from memory I know I didn’t care for them much but that is just me . Have not heard any Kennertons but would like to and the Focal Clear is a solid good headphone. I also just didn’t care for the Campfire Cascade it might just be me and have not hers the Poseidon either.
What did you not enjoy about the Cascades? I have...had a the Orions, not sure where I put them. Bass was lacking and they distorted without much power.

The PM3s are great I find, but a tad harsh in treble

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 15
What did you not enjoy about the Cascades? I have...had a the Orions, not sure where I put them. Bass was lacking and they distorted without much power.

The PM3s are great I find, but a tad harsh in treblw
I don't think you should rule out dynamic driver headphones at all. I'd probably go with a Focal headphone from what I see of Headphone Bars online selection, I think they would be a definite upgradr. I don't think the Cascade is a clear upgrade from the PM-3 personally, though I've only heard it briefly, unless you really love overpowering bass
I do love bass, but not to the point that it's all that I hear. I like hearing, or feeling rather, the impact, as well as ample bass on songs that are bass oriented, like rap and dub step. I suppose I want the bass to be there and not distorted, but I also don't want it to be artificially present. Perhaps a slight bass boost is what I like.

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 15
I think it's actually the Celestee, not the Clear, that I was looking at. Some reviews show them to be subpar for the price. If I could walk in and try headphones, I would, but it's rather impossible living in Manitoba, even moreso in Northern Manitoba. There is one audiophile shop in Winnipeg, but more for room setups, not headphones. I got my PM3 from that place, a demo model in fact. I wasn't able to demo much, other than the PM3

Oct 26, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 15
What sort of sound signature do you typically like? The headphones you're looking at are all pretty significantly different, so it's hard to make a call based on that. I haven't personally heard the PM3 so I can't make a recommendation based on them ("like this but better"), but again, don't even know if that's what you're looking for.

If you want something a little bass forward without being muddy, I really enjoy the Denon AH-D7200, easily my favorite closed back. For something very neutral, a reference sound, the Audio Technica ATH-R70X is a good option. They're also very light and configurable. My favorite open backs by far are the Hyland Audio Jupiter One, but they're made to order in the UK so demoing is basically impossible and it's a ton of money to spend blind, so I can't recommend in good conscience. If you want detail monsters that will put even higher end planars to shame, the Koss x Drop ESP-95X are amazing for the money, and if you really like them the world of multi-kilobuck STAX open up to you...

Are you just looking at full size, or are IEMs also on the table? Are you planning to use these mostly sitting down, or is portability / durability important. Need some more info and maybe we can be more help. Good luck in your search!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 15
What sort of sound signature do you typically like? The headphones you're looking at are all pretty significantly different, so it's hard to make a call based on that. I haven't personally heard the PM3 so I can't make a recommendation based on them ("like this but better"), but again, don't even know if that's what you're looking for.

If you want something a little bass forward without being muddy, I really enjoy the Denon AH-D7200, easily my favorite closed back. For something very neutral, a reference sound, the Audio Technica ATH-R70X is a good option. They're also very light and configurable. My favorite open backs by far are the Hyland Audio Jupiter One, but they're made to order in the UK so demoing is basically impossible and it's a ton of money to spend blind, so I can't recommend in good conscience. If you want detail monsters that will put even higher end planars to shame, the Koss x Drop ESP-95X are amazing for the money, and if you really like them the world of multi-kilobuck STAX open up to you...

Are you just looking at full size, or are IEMs also on the table? Are you planning to use these mostly sitting down, or is portability / durability important. Need some more info and maybe we can be more help. Good luck in your search!

Oct 26, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #12 of 15
I prefer a warm sound, not a ton of bass, but I don't like silibance in treble at all. I'm looking to step up in headphones, get into the higher tier stuff.

I've had a few IEMs, such as the Shure SE215, and the Campfire Orion. The Orions could not handle much eq without distortion, so I stopped using them and they've since disappeared somewhere in my things. I don't think I would want to go back to IEMs, uncomfortable and gross feeling ear canals after listening, and I haven't found a pair that I can say I truly like the sound of. If there are some I should look at, I'll do so.

I'm not looking for something ultra portable, but something I can carry to work, listen in the down time.

Oct 26, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 15
I prefer a warm sound, not a ton of bass, but I don't like silibance in treble at all. I'm looking to step up in headphones, get into the higher tier stuff.

I've had a few IEMs, such as the Shure SE215, and the Campfire Orion. The Orions could not handle much eq without distortion, so I stopped using them and they've since disappeared somewhere in my things. I don't think I would want to go back to IEMs, uncomfortable and gross feeling ear canals after listening, and I haven't found a pair that I can say I truly like the sound of. If there are some I should look at, I'll do so.

I'm not looking for something ultra portable, but something I can carry to work, listen in the down time.

I am not normally an IEM person, preferring speakers first and full size over ears if I need to be quieter, but the Empire Ears Bravado MK2 are very, very impressive, almost speaker-like in their presentation. They can be a little too bass heavy on some tracks, so having the option of EQ with whatever source you're using is good to have, but with most things they're amazing. I have never spent so much time with an IEM in such a short period, and am seriously considering selling my universals (and most of my other IEMs) and getting customs made.

I know what you mean about the ear canal thing - my recommendation there would be to get a bunch of different ear tips and find what works for you with your current IEMs, and if you can find something that's really comfortable (for me it's foams) look in to higher end stuff.

I also have the Campfire Orion, and you'll see from my ranking that they're not among my favorites. Not dreadful, better than low end chi-fi stuff, but outclassed by many. There's much better out there.

Based on your described preference (very similar to my own) the Denon AH-D7200 would be my go to recommendation. I don't think they're worth $1000, but if you can find a used pair in good shape $500 is fair. They're also just gorgeous.

The Elegia gets about 4/5ths of the way there (maybe even closer with EQ) and are way less expensive - you can find them for ~$400 USD regularly because they're "discontinued". Definitely a good choice at that price point.

The Hylands are exactly what you want, I suspect. If you happen to see a pair come up for sale used (unlikely as that is - again, made to order in very small quantities) jump on them. I'm seriously considering selling all my headphones but the Denons (closed back), the ATH-R70X (good to have a reference tuned pair), the Koss (detail monsters), and the Hylands. They're that good.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #14 of 15
I am not normally an IEM person, preferring speakers first and full size over ears if I need to be quieter, but the Empire Ears Bravado MK2 are very, very impressive, almost speaker-like in their presentation. They can be a little too bass heavy on some tracks, so having the option of EQ with whatever source you're using is good to have, but with most things they're amazing. I have never spent so much time with an IEM in such a short period, and am seriously considering selling my universals (and most of my other IEMs) and getting customs made.

I know what you mean about the ear canal thing - my recommendation there would be to get a bunch of different ear tips and find what works for you with your current IEMs, and if you can find something that's really comfortable (for me it's foams) look in to higher end stuff.

I also have the Campfire Orion, and you'll see from my ranking that they're not among my favorites. Not dreadful, better than low end chi-fi stuff, but outclassed by many. There's much better out there.

Based on your described preference (very similar to my own) the Denon AH-D7200 would be my go to recommendation. I don't think they're worth $1000, but if you can find a used pair in good shape $500 is fair. They're also just gorgeous.

The Elegia gets about 4/5ths of the way there (maybe even closer with EQ) and are way less expensive - you can find them for ~$400 USD regularly because they're "discontinued". Definitely a good choice at that price point.

The Hylands are exactly what you want, I suspect. If you happen to see a pair come up for sale used (unlikely as that is - again, made to order in very small quantities) jump on them. I'm seriously considering selling all my headphones but the Denons (closed back), the ATH-R70X (good to have a reference tuned pair), the Koss (detail monsters), and the Hylands. They're that good.
Thanks! I'll take a look at them! I'm not sure if I want open back. I'm a teacher, and not sure that I want people hearing my music. Some of it is technically appropriate for school. I also don't want to bother others too much, as I tend to listen at a high volume.

Are there other earpads that fit the Jupiter? I'm not sure what they are made of, but look to be velour or foam. I've never tried foam pads, but velour...I hate velour. I'm not saying they are bad, but the feel of it, and even more so velvet, sends shivers up my spine. I had a pair of AKG K171 from drop...horrible mind you, the worst I've heard, but what I really hated was the velour pads. I didn't really feel them once one, but just thinking about the feel, or slightly moving them, grossed me out. I don't know what it is, but I just can't go velour. I only use leather or pleather, preferably leather, and like the solid, smooth texture, and isolation. I was wearing my PM3 with new Brainwavz sheepskin pads for 2 hours, and I didn't find them sweaty. In fact, I've never found my ears to get sweaty with leather or pleather, or at least not enough to notice.

For what it's worth, I'm fine using eq. I use it with my PM3s to slightly bump up bass, and remove shrillness from highs. It remains pretty close to neutral, and I really love the PM3s. I just don't want a set of headphones that results in distortion as the Orions have

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #15 of 15
Thanks! I'll take a look at them! I'm not sure if I want open back. I'm a teacher, and not sure that I want people hearing my music. Some of it is technically appropriate for school. I also don't want to bother others too much, as I tend to listen at a high volume.

Are there other earpads that fit the Jupiter? I'm not sure what they are made of, but look to be velour or foam. I've never tried foam pads, but velour...I hate velour. I'm not saying they are bad, but the feel of it, and even more so velvet, sends shivers up my spine. I had a pair of AKG K171 from drop...horrible mind you, the worst I've heard, but what I really hated was the velour pads. I didn't really feel them once one, but just thinking about the feel, or slightly moving them, grossed me out. I don't know what it is, but I just can't go velour. I only use leather or pleather, preferably leather, and like the solid, smooth texture, and isolation. I was wearing my PM3 with new Brainwavz sheepskin pads for 2 hours, and I didn't find them sweaty. In fact, I've never found my ears to get sweaty with leather or pleather, or at least not enough to notice.

For what it's worth, I'm fine using eq. I use it with my PM3s to slightly bump up bass, and remove shrillness from highs. It remains pretty close to neutral, and I really love the PM3s. I just don't want a set of headphones that results in distortion as the Orions have
Yeah it's just the typical round collar style slip on for the pads, so anything the right diameter should fit. If I remember right mine came with alternates, but yes, the ones I use are "hybrids" - leather or vinyl (not sure which) on the outsides, velour on the inner surface where it touches your ears.

Hyland does have a closed back model but I've never heard it, and it's like 800 GBP so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back