headphone + (optional) amp = $500
Aug 5, 2001 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

FunkeHomosapien

Head-Fier
I have a pair of Grado SR-80s and v6s. I like the Grado sound much more than the sony's and want to upgrade.

I am considering

Grado 325 + Creek
Senn 580/600 + Corda
Sony CD3000 w/o amp
Grado RS-1 w/o amp

Are there any other combinations that sound good for around 500 dollars? I am not interested in tube amps. I will use these at home and isolation is not an issue. The headphone output on my integrated amp is pretty good.

Aug 5, 2001 at 11:58 AM Post #3 of 10
What integrated amp do you have?

Most take the output from the power amp section, through a resistor to the head socket. Thats just avergae. However, yours may well have some dedicated circuitry there. I'd be interested to know what it is?

I have an audiolab 8000S, which as i understand it has a class a headamp. however, who really knows.

I am in a similar situation to you, as far as the integarted is concerned. Do i need a head amp? Will it work well with CD3000.

Sorry to mix my query with yours!

Aug 5, 2001 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

blr said...

SR325/ Grado RA1

I'll second that.

Aug 5, 2001 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 10
You can find the RA-1 for less than $300 bucks but it is typically around $350.

A cheaper option might be the Creek, which can be found for about $179, new.

- pearle

Aug 5, 2001 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 10
sparkman
smily_headphones1.gif
: May the stuff be cheaper, too? If yes, I'd recommend to try the beyerdynamic DT531, which you could probably get for less than US$ 100. Most probably you won't even need an amp for this great headphone. It's comfy; it's very detailed; its bass reproduction just blows any other headphone I heard, yet; it's very lively & musical and has a lot of impact -> I'd say it's worth every penny - and since I have it, my good old K501 has become more or less superfluous.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 6, 2001 at 6:22 AM Post #9 of 10
I can hunt down an individual out of california that can sell you the RS-1 for less than 550 and the RA for 259. If you're interested (I was, using them now
smily_headphones1.gif
, email me at Phlosopher@aol.com. He might also be able to get you a good deal on the 325s.

By the way, I wouldn't suggest you get the RS-1 without an amp...None of the stuff I have around here would push it at all to acceptable volumes...but, it seems like you might have some decent stuff...

but, again, contact me if you want this dood's name. He will hook you up hardcore.

John

Aug 6, 2001 at 7:15 AM Post #10 of 10
I think the RS-1 would actually be a great purchase - they tend to be a little more source-insensitive than most other headphones, so even a good portable can drive them well.

My D-777 is certainly no slouch, and I find that the RS-1's are far superior in such a setup to my CD1700's.

Without an amp, I think, you will be tapping a much higher percentage of the maximum headphone performance with the RS-1's than with virtually any other headphone, which makes it a good value. And, as you get more cash, you will be able to add to the performance without having to throw anything out.

Simply put, an RA-1 amp and SR-325's (perhaps), will give you a certain amount of enjoyment, and the RS-1's alone may be a little lower or higher than that, but in order to get better sound quality out of the RA-1/SR325 combo, you have to chuck either the RA-1 or the SR-325! Wasteful.

On the other hand, to get more performance out of RS-1's, you simply get an amp, some good interconnects, and you're in business without throwing anything out. So, the RS-1's are _future proof_.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's past midnight, and I have an essay due in eighteen hours. I hope the above made sense.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back