Headphone nozzle size
Oct 30, 2012 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kgriz

New Head-Fier
I have a set of custom molded ear bud silicone tips that I would like to put to use on a pair of iem's that produce awesome hifi sound. My tips are excellent at noise cancellation and were made just for me. The issue is that they were molded to the set of earbuds that came with them ($10 junkers), so the pair I buy must have close to the same dimensions. I have done quite a bit of research on headfi as well as other places and nobody lists nozzle dimensions of their iem's, even the manufacturers. 

Anyone who is willing, can please post the following info about their IEMS
  • brand and model
  • price
  • nozzle diameter
  • nozzle depth
  • indentation start and stop distance in same format as I describe below
  • indentation width
  • indentation depth
  • Review of the performance
  • Favorite type of music to listen to

The dimensions of the earbuds that my silicone tips are molded to are as follows:

Nozzle diameter (plastic protrusion that the rubber tip slides onto)=6.5mm
Nozzle Depth (tip to base of nozzle)=5.5mm

There is a small indentation that helps keep the rubber tips on:
It starts 1mm from the tip of the nozzle and ends 2.5mm from the tip of the nozzle.
Indentation width is then= 1.5mm
Indentation depth=approx 1mm

I would truly appreciate if anyone could list the measurements of their IEM's if they are close to mine. I would like a relatively nice pair of IEM's under a few hundred bucks, that I can install my silicone tips on

Thanks so much,
Kevin

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 6
The size of the nozzle on your IEM is the same as the 400 size of the comply foam tips. Go to complyfoam.com and use their tip finder function and any IEM that you find on there that takes any of their 400 size tips will match your tips.

If they are silicon you might even be able to stretch them over 500 size iem's like the TF10 (I can get my 400 size onto my TF10's)

Hope that helps.

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the advice. I checked them out but I am still weary on how well my tips would fit on any headphone they specify for a 400 size. My custom tips are a very hard silicone and the dimensions have to be rather precise. For instance I have a few sets of headphones and 2 of them are listed on the comply site to use 400 size tips and my custom tips don't fit them very well at all. If nobody posts dimensions I may use the comply site to at least narrow down my search criteria, and start ordering different sets and make sure returns are accepted in case they do not fit. 

If anyone is willing to take the time to post their measurements I would still greatly appreciate it. 

It only took me a standard ruler and about 1 minute to measure mine.

Thanks.

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the advice. I checked them out but I am still weary on how well my tips would fit on any headphone they specify for a 400 size. My custom tips are a very hard silicone and the dimensions have to be rather precise. For instance I have a few sets of headphones and 2 of them are listed on the comply site to use 400 size tips and my custom tips don't fit them very well at all. If nobody posts dimensions I may use the comply site to at least narrow down my search criteria, and start ordering different sets and make sure returns are accepted in case they do not fit. 

If anyone is willing to take the time to post their measurements I would still greatly appreciate it. 

It only took me a standard ruler and about 1 minute to measure mine.

Thanks.

That was how I came up with my suggestion. I measured the bore size of the CX200 and it is the exact same width as your custom tips. Then I looked it up with the comply tip finder and they recommend the 400's. Honestly it is a tight fit so maybe you can try something in the 500 series size. I'll tell you what, I will measure my TF10's in a little bit and i'll put it up for you.

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 6
So the UE TF10 is almost exactly 6mm in diameter...

I dunno... don't make sense but that is a 500 size on the comply site. funny because the cx200's were about the same size.

Good luck. Sorry can't tell you more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back