Headphone noob
Feb 5, 2009 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bencho

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Just joined the forum and have a stupid question. I plan on purchasing the Grado SR60's as they seem to get rave reviews. I'm going to be using them for my ipod touch. I'll be coming from the headphones they gave you with your PSP. Anyway.. for headphones like the Grado.. with the band that goes over your head, is it ok to wear them with the band resting on the back of your neck? I've always wondered if it will change the way the drivers send music to your ears.. Thanks!

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 12
Nah, it won't change the sound, but they will definitely fall off. The grado headband doesn't provide nearly enough clamping force to hold that design on your ears (nor would you want it to). If you intend to wear the band on the back of your head, you should try a different set of headphones.

I'd suggest the iGrados, for the closest possible match. Not as good sounding, sure, but they are designed for street style.

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 12
No, they're "on ear" designs, called supra-aural. They stay on by the band sitting on top of your head, and they pretty much rest on your ear.

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bencho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh... Would getting larger ear pads allow for them to hang on my ears?

No, they just don't work that way.

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 12
Alas, there is no way you can wear Grado SR-60s behind your head. If you'd like to be a pioneer, you can buy the biggest pads they make and work something out, but those are $45 plus shipping by themselves. Interested?

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 12
Even the SR80, which is around-ear, will not stay on that way. They're meant to be worn with the band over the head.

Your best bet is indeed iGrados if you want Grado signature sound. I hear the difference isn't THAT big and is still a very decent pair of headphones for the price. And they're behind the head headphones that you are looking for.

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 12
Yea... I guess the igrados are the route to take. I spike my hair so I don't want that band getting in the way >.<''

Thanks for the tips. If i do end up making the sr60's like $100 I'll let you guys know
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #10 of 12
Since the grados, supraaural, don't have enough pressure to clamp on my ears with the band behind my head. Does that imply that circumaural's do? If so, suggestions for one?

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 12
Most circumaurals aren't circles, so they can really only be worn up and down. Plus, I don't think you actually want something to grip your head so hard that it is supported by only grip. Such a headphone would be extremely uncomfortable -- so uncomfortable that no company would make one.

Your behind-the-head requirement really necessitates a pair of street-style 'phones. All full-size (supraaural, circumaural) are dependent on your head for support.

So, it's street-style or in-ear for you, or deal with the hair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back