Headphone non-balanced out : Monolith 788 vs RME ADI-2 FS
Dec 6, 2020 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
Let say you are thinking about buying the Monolith 788 or the RME ADI-2 FS v2 Black
And you want to know which one has the better headphone out sound, as you plan on needing it.

Well, they both use this : AKM's AK4493

Both Headphone outs are quite powerful.

Both Volume knobs are "stepped", and the RME implements this function better.
It has more "in between" steps, that allow you to fine tune the Volume more perfectly.

Both Displays are easy to read and the RME's interface (buttons and knobs) is better implemented.

Ok...Headphone out only, unbalanced, ... which is better. ?

>NO EQ'ing

Clarity : Equal.

Dynamics : The RME leans more toward the Neutral Reference idea, while the 788 offers this but also presents a touch more overall FR energy.

FR Compression : very similar

Articulation : Equal

Resolution : Similar enough to say its a draw.

Musicality : RME

Punch : 788

Treble & Bass : With EQ set to "OFF" .... Both are very dynamic in this regard, and very similar.

Soundstage : RME is wider with slightly less center focus and is more open, and the 788 is more forward or slightly less wide and sounds more intimate and more precise.

Midrange : 788 has more solidity in the mids. They are more forward. The RME's Midrange performance is more broad and a tiny bit more musical.

If you purchase the RME, be sure to engage "High Power" all the time, as this completely changes the Headphone output's sound from slightly soft and veiled to what you will definitely prefer.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 13
Thank you for the comparison, this is really hard to find.
I have a Monolith 788 on the way and I am very happy to hear your feedback.

You're welcome.
Both of these units are winners.
They both sound good,= unbalanced headphone out.

An Audiophile is a person who likes to experience sound using various tools that produce or represent it.
Its common for us to have a lot of different headphones near us, and we actually keep changing from one set to another, and never actually listen to an entire song.
I do this all the time..
I'll have 5 sets of headphones near me, and i rotate them all and never get past the 3rd minute of any Song im using.
I can literally play 20 songs in 1 Hr obo, swapping around 5 sets of headphones, and never hear any of the songs all the way to the end.

Sometimes i use one set of headphones all day.

Life is good when choices abound. :)

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #4 of 13
If you purchase the RME, be sure to engage "High Power" all the time, as this completely changes the Headphone output's sound from slightly soft and veiled to what you will definitely prefer.

Which Headphones have you used if I may ask ? Doesn't this will make everything just "louder" ?

Thanks and Regards

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #5 of 13
Which Headphones have you used if I may ask ? Doesn't this will make everything just "louder" ?

Thanks and Regards

I have too many headphones to list:)
In the last Month, i bought the " Senn HD560S,... the Senn HD800S,.... the Focal Elex, ....the Mr Speakers-Drop Ether CX,.... the Audeze LCD-XC,.... the Senn HD700, ....the AKG371, ....the OllO Audio S4X,.... The Audeze GX.....and the AKG K876.
So, im using the headphone out(s) from the ADi 2 Dac FS and the Monolith 788, at times, to power all those, and in all cases there is plenty of power, and outstanding sound.
And when using the "high power" option, you'll note that dynamics are definitely increased, which is what you want from your headphone out..

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 13
In the last Month, i bought the " Senn HD560S,... the Senn HD800S,.... the Focal Elex, ....the Mr Speakers-Drop Ether CX,.... the Audeze LCD-XC,.... the Senn HD700, ....the AKG371, ....the OllO Audio S4X,.... The Audeze GX.....and the AKG K876.
So, im using the headphone out(s) from the ADi 2 Dac FS and the Monolith 788, at times, to power all those, and in all cases there is plenty of power, and outstanding sound.
And when using the "high power" option, you'll note that dynamics are definitely increased, which is what you want from your headphone out..

Thank you for your answer.
I have asked this beucase I have read (can't remeber where) that low power was to prefer

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 13
Sorry for receiving this thread. Is rme Adi 2 worth the upgrade to from monolith desktop DAC/amp? Monolith unit is fine but it doesn't have balanced output. I'm using monolith desktop DAC/preamp currently and feeding it to audio gd 9. Not sure if anyone has compared rme to monolith for their dac preamp function

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 13
Sorry for receiving this thread. Is rme Adi 2 worth the upgrade to from monolith desktop DAC/amp? Monolith unit is fine but it doesn't have balanced output. I'm using monolith desktop DAC/preamp currently and feeding it to audio gd 9. Not sure if anyone has compared rme to monolith for their dac preamp function
Is the G9 Class "A"? If so, you'll hear more coloration coming out from the Amp this in going into it from either the RME or the THX.

The THX is more Sterile and Pristine.
The RME is some of this, but is more linear.

Is it worth the upgrade?
It depends on if you want to pay for that "little bit extra", as that is where all the money goes...:)

The RME is easier to use, and is packed with EQ's and goodies.
Headphone out is better, but, not significantly.......just by "a little bit extra"
Dac's are different and so is the sound.
The most recent RME is a slight tweek, so, thats a good thing.

Mar 22, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 13
Is the G9 Class "A"? If so, you'll hear more coloration coming out from the Amp this in going into it from either the RME or the THX.

The THX is more Sterile and Pristine.
The RME is some of this, but is more linear.

Is it worth the upgrade?
It depends on if you want to pay for that "little bit extra", as that is where all the money goes...:)

The RME is easier to use, and is packed with EQ's and goodies.
Headphone out is better, but, not significantly.......just by "a little bit extra"
Dac's are different and so is the sound.
The most recent RME is a slight tweek, so, thats a good thing.

Audio gd M9 is a class A amp. Monolith Desktop does a decent job for a preamp/dac but it doesn't have balanced output. Not sure how much the sound would change if it's switched to a balanced in/balanced out setting with the same AKM 4493 chip.

Mar 22, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 13
Audio gd M9 is a class A amp. Monolith Desktop does a decent job for a preamp/dac but it doesn't have balanced output. Not sure how much the sound would change if it's switched to a balanced in/balanced out setting with the same AKM 4493 chip.
I think the THX has duel Dacs, and i believe the RME has the same 4493.
If the consensus is true, then then AKM is warmer than the Sabre stuff.
I use both of these as Headphone out's only.
The RME is certainly more impressive overall, even aesthetically, however, this might not be a reason to pay $700 more for the RME.
You might also want to check out the Matrix I3, as it sounds better then both of them...:)
Its different. The sound offers more soundstage and depth.
And again, we are talking that "last little bit" and not anything significant.
The Matrix is impressive, but so is the RME.
And for the price, the THX is a revelation.

Mar 22, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 13
I think the THX has duel Dacs, and i believe the RME has the same 4493.
If the consensus is true, then then AKM is warmer than the Sabre stuff.
I use both of these as Headphone out's only.
The RME is certainly more impressive overall, even aesthetically, however, this might not be a reason to pay $700 more for the RME.
You might also want to check out the Matrix I3, as it sounds better then both of them...:)
Its different. The sound offers more soundstage and depth.
And again, we are talking that "last little bit" and not anything significant.
The Matrix is impressive, but so is the RME.
And for the price, the THX is a revelation.
Thank you so much for your input. I've never heard of Matrix I3, are you referring to the pro version or the mini version? I definitely need to upgrade my dac, preferably around 1k budget. In your opinion, what would be a significant upgrade to Monolith desktop amp? Monolith sounds very clean but is lacking in soundstage.

Mar 23, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #13 of 13
Very interesting! Do you find that the ADI-2 headphone out (in high power mode) is enough to drive high impedance (300 Ohm +) headphones? Or do you find it best to use a separate amp with the ADI-2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back