Headphone noise: I can hear hard drive spinning and noise when dragging windows
Dec 14, 2009 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

phamine

New Head-Fier
My setup:

Creative Xtremegamer
JVC RX700

I have my sound card routed to an audio port on my computer case.

I can basically hear faint hissing and noise when the headphones are connected to the audio port.

Noises like the hard drive spinning up is one. If I click on a drag bar in a browser I can hear the noise through the head phones. I'm assuming it's coming from the my usb port mouse?

Is there anything I can do to minimize this noise?

Thanks

Dec 14, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 5
this is called 'blitter noise' either your soundcard is installed in a PCI (or whatever) slot that is too close in proximity to your graphics card or the way you routed the output goes too close. it has nothing to do with USB

Dec 14, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 5
The noose you are hearing is graphics card based, I would suggest that you use the rear ports to start with, as that will reduce the length of cable / routing and interference problems. However, if you are still getting problems, try moving your sound card as far away from the graphics card as possible. If that still isn't working, then you are going to need to grab a USB dac or external soundcard.

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the replies. sounds like it is on the money. My PCI sound card is one slot away from my graphics card. I'll try the suggestions above and see if I can minimize it.

Dec 14, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Make sure you recording inputs aren't "floating" such as leaving the microphone input enabled and boosted without a microphone attached. This will pick up ANY noise that is present. Usually just muting the recording inputs will fix the issue provided this is what your hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back