headphone next step
Nov 11, 2013 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

omar10wahab

New Head-Fier
Hello thanks for joining me on this beautiful adventure to audiophileness. I recently started getting more and more into music and got myself a pair of audio technica ath m30's. now to my knowledge these are better than any headphones i have ever used and my plan is to get the m50s when I get the money for them. Now I was wondering because although they are better than everyday iem that you buy for under $15 anywhere I can't really hear much of a difference. Now whati mean is I don't know know what I'm hearing is the difference. To me it sounds like with the iem's that, a veil is covering the headphones but when I use my m30s that veil is removed. Not to mention everything sounds more punchy and clear. Im really bad at telling how lows, mids, and highs sound but I think I got lows down because I think it's more about feeling the lows and I can definitely feel more than the iems. Now I know the m30s aren't probably the greatest with bass but they "feel" better and sound better than iems. I guess i can kind of tell about highs but i have no idea about mids. What an i trying to listen for with mids and also What I don't get is how people tell if the lows are drowning out the mids. When I listen to music I feel like theres to much happening to tell what's happening. Should I listen to a couple of songs on repeat and compare with what I have to use right now or does someone have a website to help me tell the difference between all the highs mids and lows. I tried using sin waves but it doesn't really help because when I try to convert back to everyday music it obviously doesn't sound the same. I guess in the end I need help understanding music better because I'm really oblivious to stuff. What type of gene of music could help me differentiate between highs, mids and lows easier cause maybe I could try to focus on those genres. Anything would help and can you also tell me what is lacking in the ath m30s quality wise. Thanks

Feb 3, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 4
This chart should help you. Click on it to see it larger.  It outlines what sounds generally fall within which frequency ranges.  If you can't read it well here, I found it at: http://dpaudioa.blogspot.com/2011/02/frequency-amplitude-and-eq.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back