Headphone newbie looking for expert recommendations
Sep 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

calebstubstad

New Head-Fier
Hey all!
I've been browsing the web for headphones for awhile now, and this site is always where I end up for reviews. I can honestly say I have no idea what headphones I want anymore, I thought I wanted the V-moda m80's, then ATH M50's, then Lp's, and all back around and now i'm just here to ask you. I listen to almost everything. Pop Punk ( All Time Low, Blink 182), Rock (Green Day, Imagine Dragons), some country, and some bass heavy stuff. I want headphones that have great sound, have good but controlled bass, clean lyrics, and can play everything from Slash's guitar solo's to a good acoustic album. Yes, I listen to it all. I have give or take 150 to spend, maybe more around christmas. I'm a college student, and want good headphones for studying, walking to class, longboarding around campus, and traveling in the car. I hope you guys (and gals) can point me in the right direction! 
ps. headphones that fold flat, have a good case, and/or have detachable cords are all a plus. 

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 6
  Hey all!
I've been browsing the web for headphones for awhile now, and this site is always where I end up for reviews. I can honestly say I have no idea what headphones I want anymore, I thought I wanted the V-moda m80's, then ATH M50's, then Lp's, and all back around and now i'm just here to ask you. I listen to almost everything. Pop Punk ( All Time Low, Blink 182), Rock (Green Day, Imagine Dragons), some country, and some bass heavy stuff. I want headphones that have great sound, have good but controlled bass, clean lyrics, and can play everything from Slash's guitar solo's to a good acoustic album. Yes, I listen to it all. I have give or take 150 to spend, maybe more around christmas. I'm a college student, and want good headphones for studying, walking to class, longboarding around campus, and traveling in the car. I hope you guys (and gals) can point me in the right direction! 
ps. headphones that fold flat, have a good case, and/or have detachable cords are all a plus. 

IMO, M50's lacks good mids and V-Modas lack clarity. My recommendation goes to DT1350. Buy the old version, as they are cheaper, and the sound is identical as the new version.

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 6
If you want isolation you should consider Philips Fidelio M1. Not as dark as the L1. But still warm sounding. Great sensitivity for portable use, not picky with recordings at all, confortable and nicely made. If you don't care much about isolation and confort, Yamaha's HPH 200 are really good headphones with lively sound. I find them great for rock, nice timbres and powerful sound.

Best Luck!

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 6
Just let me add this is here, I have only ever used the freebie apple earbuds, and a pair of Skull Candy smokin buds that I didn't like much. Now i'm using just cheap samsung buds that again, came with my phone. I have no idea what any of the highs, mids, lows, airy, veiled, anything means. I know treble and bass, but in all honesty, i don't think i'm very picky. just something better than what I have at a decent price. thanks!

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 6
  Just let me add this is here, I have only ever used the freebie apple earbuds, and a pair of Skull Candy smokin buds that I didn't like much. Now i'm using just cheap samsung buds that again, came with my phone. I have no idea what any of the highs, mids, lows, airy, veiled, anything means. I know treble and bass, but in all honesty, i don't think i'm very picky. just something better than what I have at a decent price. thanks!

Ok. Overall, DT1350 is a very solid all rounder. You will be satisfied with it.

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 6
Ok. Overall, DT1350 is a very solid all rounder. You will be satisfied with it.

+1
Fidelio M1 : 140 (Amazon)
DT 1350: 200 (Amazon)

If you can spend those extra 60 dollars you won't be regretted. If not, M1s are really good headphones with nice bass and polite highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back