Headphone n00b requesting backup
Sep 18, 2008 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

callmevil

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, can anyone help me decide on which headphones to settle for? My budget is around $400 max. I am looking at either an hd650, dt880, or a k-701, but this all based on what ive been reading about them, so i may be missing other good options here..

My preferred music genre is mainly towards Indy songs, i do appreciate some Andrea Bocelli / Sandra Brightman at times.. Id use the headphones partly for music and more for movies..

My source would be flacs / cds / and bluray movies

One more thing, is that i would be using my AVR (yamaha rx-v663) to be the amp for now as ive read they are capable of driving the 3 cans mentioned earlier. I will be getting a dedicated headphone amp at a later time though...

haha hopefully ive provided enough info.. would really appreciate if anyone could suggest me a good headphone to start with...

Thanks

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 5
Well evil,

You really should go listen to each of those cans if possible. Guitar Center has Senns, Beyers, Ultrasones and AKG. They won't have those specific models necessarily but you can get a taste of the house sound. Of the three, the dts would be the easiest to drive. If you can find a music shop that carries Grado or AT, give them a listen as well. If I had to choose between what you have presented, I've chose the K701s. I like the details and highs more than the bass impact.

Welcome to Head Fi and sorry bout the wallet
beerchug.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 5
I hear the HD 650's are an excellent investment, but that it really begins to shine when it is recabled, so that might add on to the cost (I believe they can be had for around 350 these days) but you can do that later on when you want to increase the value that they have to you..

I would really recomment googling along these lines: hd 650 review or hd 650 review head-fi and youll easily find threads that can help you decide whether the sound of those headphones are what you would enjoy.

Do the same for the others..

My $.02: I am deciding on the closed side of headphones so I am looking at the Denon AH-D2000s and the beyerdynamics DT880/990 (on Amazon they can be had for 200-DT880 and 270 for DT990)

Enjoy searching!

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 5
thanks for the advice Happy Camper n Ayebooboo
smily_headphones1.gif
, Im finding it very difficult to find time and leave the house to go auditioning for the cans
frown.gif

as for the note on googling reviews, ive been doing it for a week now and i must say the ones on headfi have been the most valuable for me.. i find it hard to take reviews from named websites seriously as i assumed they'd have a certain degree of commercial interest while making those reviews.. as oppose to the ones made on headfi where reviews are made from the guy-next-door..

i understand that the hd650 needs recabling to lift this so-called veil but due to my limited fund, i could only (if i opt for the senns) recable it much later.. haha

The 701s have had soo much love over the other 2.. have anyone tried the 702 and how they compare to the 701s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back