Headphone myths you believed before you joined headfi?
Feb 16, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #77 of 131
Like so many others here, I thought Sony made all the best stuff. They must do - Sony earphones occupy the prime display space in most shops, right?

Later, I thought Bose were the real high end. Bose speakers are used in bars, and they're so loud, they must be great!!

Most recently, and most amusingly, I thought I wouldn't need any more headphones
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #78 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't that the truth, R10 n all?

Let's see, my myth was the more bass the better.

well, save for the R10, CD3K, and SAxxxx, models.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #79 of 131
I thought that nothing in the consumer market would cost more than $200, and that would be the high high end. Now I see $1000 headphones and say "hmm thats cheap". Not that I own any in that pricerange, yet ......

I thought that those big headphones that I see some guys wearing around on the streets connected to their discmans/whatever must have been the best (generic sonys, panasonics, teacs etc). I now see them as a waste of money... better to buy some cheap Koss headphones, or save your money until you can afford something worth buying

I used to think that the source/amp had no impact on sound (except volume for the amp). Then I came around to amps but thought that sources had no impact. Then I replaced my dvd player with a real CDP and was amazed

edit: for a while i thought that bose was the bmw of the audio world becaused a friend had some bose speakers that he'd go on about, and also because they were the only expensive brand name i knew of in audio. well maybe they are the bmw of the audio world... i like my subaru
tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #82 of 131
  1. I thought Sony MDR-CD780s were awesome fons
  2. I thought that foobar was an obsolete piece of ugly audio software
  3. I thought fons with more mids than the Dt770 would sound screamy

Feb 16, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #83 of 131
-"High-end headphones" means circumaural headphones
-The only real area to improve sound on cheap headphones is the bass/weight department, so "high end" headphones will have powerful bass and weight to the music (thus sounding like speakers)
-BOSE is the ultimate high-end headphone company
-No headphones cost more than ~$200
-Sound isn't very subjective and there's pretty much a universal ranking of headphones
-The more expensive and bigger the better

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #84 of 131
i used to think phillips was a great company and would go on and on about boss without actually hearing them. now i HAVE heard. and i used to think anything over 25$ was a waste.

Feb 16, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #85 of 131
Bose was good (that was until i went to the bose store and wanted to die because they sounded so bad)

headphones don't need amps

headphones are cheap, and no one would ever spend more than $250 on a headphone

open air is bad (ISN'T SOUND NOT SUPPOSED TO GET OUT!?
tongue.gif
)

Feb 16, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #86 of 131
hmm i bought sen 280s before visiting head-fi...but that was based on my dads advice the sennheiser makes higher end stuff, and i always knew that bose wasnt good.

the biggest myth i think i believed in was that more expensive= better. which in some cases is true, but ksc75s beat many more expensive headphones

Feb 16, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #89 of 131
Back in high school somebody in one of my classes had these big Sony DJ cans (I can't remember what they actually were) and he let me listen to them. He claimed they had "mini subwoofers" in them, which is why there was so much bass. I was somewhat skeptical, because the guy was always full of crap, but back then I wasn't into audio equipment at all.

Feb 16, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #90 of 131
before I signed onto HF:
- I thought $100 was a lot to pay for headphones
- I thought I needed speakers to enjoy music
- I thought I'd stick to a portable setup and wouldn't bother with a desktop CDP or dedicated HP-amp

as I was just here:
- thought Grados would be the worst headphone comfort-wise

glad to have been proven wrong on all accounts...my wallet on the other hand cries in silence every night when all is dark
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back