Headphone myths you believed before you joined headfi?
Feb 14, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #31 of 131
And for a post that doesn't beat a very dead, very beaten horse...

I thought Grado SR225's were top of the line in pricing
...if only that were still true
frown.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #34 of 131
I used to think anything over $200 was basically like audio quackery (a la $1000 power cable)...... looks at RS-2 and W1000...

Curse you head-fi!

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #35 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you buy a good pair of IEM's you never need another one.

Obviously you haven't been hit by upgraditis.

ER4P -> Triple.Fi 10 -> (probably) UE10Pro

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #37 of 131
I have always had a semi-decent headphone (over $60... LOL!!) dating back to around 1983. So I always enjoyed headphone audio as a way to get lost in the music and completely immerse oneself in the tunes. My timeline looked like this:

1983 - Sennheiser MS100 ($65)
1986 - Koss Pro4x plus ($75)
2000 - MDRV6 ($75)

I also had a couple sony fontopia earbuds somewhere along the lines. They royally sucked (even back then), but served their portable duties well enough.

I think my biggest mistake was thinking all CD players sound the same, and closed earcup desings are superior to open
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #38 of 131
i thought that quality mattered with an mp3 player. i got an ipod hoping that it would make my music sound better. while poking around itunes, i stumbled upon some weird thing called "importing" and "128 AAC". then i changed it to 320...not knowing what it would do...
then when i ripped my cds to itunes with 320mp3, it made everything sound a whole lot better compared to the files on my old mp3 player...

so i got lucky...or something
but now i know the truth

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #40 of 131
I've worn Ibudz, I knew that they stank, what made me move though was when I upgraded to entry level speaker monitors 2.1 for my PC and x-fi sound card, I realized that music can indeed sound good o.O. After that, I could only step on ibudz for them to achieve their desired sound quality with the rats in the dumpster!

I have gotten HD280 myself after looking at reviews on newegg and amazon, never visited head-fi and I bought SENNNS!! I must be natural or something o.O

Now that I visited head-fi I decided to go straight for max I can allow myself under budget, I figure if I am buying something good. I better get the best I can and don't suffer upgradetitis in its severe form. This move saves money, relatively speaking.

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #41 of 131
...That Sony and Bose must be good, since they are such successful companies and everyone else has one...Audio-Technica sounds iffy...
tongue.gif
(No offence, Sony do make a couple of nice cans like V6s and SA 1K/5K, not to mention Qualias)

...That spending over $40 for earphones is pure madness

...That earbuds are fantastic (they are, just that I discovered IEMs and Headphones since coming here
280smile.gif
)

...That amplifiers are for guitars and Hi-Fi systems...

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #43 of 131
I use to think that Sennheiser was the only company that made "real" high-end headphones. Never heard of Beyer, AKG, Grado, ATH, etc until I came here.

Feb 14, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #44 of 131
Well I KNEW BOSE WAS NO GOOD the moment I knew about them. Am I crazy for knowing that they were inherently bad for the prices they charged?

Okay myths...
  1. The biggest majority in the high end headphone market was closed BUSTED
  2. Electrostats were outdated and trumped easily by dynamic headphones Yet to be tested
  3. Amps were for power greedy headphones BUSTED
  4. Cables matter somewhat true but diminishing returns is at a low price point so good cables are way overpriced
  5. Sennheiser was full of freaks for making so many open cans. BUSTED

Feb 14, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #45 of 131
FooTemps, you made me think of somethng interesting. What if we got this on Mythbusters? Bose vs. Senn and AKG cans for similar price points...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back