Headphone Multipurpose under 200$
Sep 14, 2014 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bonami2

Head-Fier
Hello!

Any idea what kind of headphone i can get for under 200$ that will be best suited for music listening of all kind metal classical etc..

From my cellphone and my xonar dg amp...    

I may get an portable amp but i dont know what to get if you can help me max budget is 60$ for the PORTABLE amp

I heard the ath m50 are awesome but im looking to see if their is something else better than them..

I love female vocal so it need to do well in that kind of frequency range..

Thank you!

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 9
Because this is in the "Full-Size" headphone thread, I assume it has to be 'Over The Ear'?

There's something I'd like you to answer.

Is Semi-Open headphones ok? they isolate fine at low volumes to where you can hear not only your music but also your surroundings (great for going out and about and want to be aware of your surroundings.)

You MIGHT wanna look into the M50's Big Brother, the PRO700MK2s, now I've seen a lot of threads/reviews saying these are subwoofers on your ears... that's an EXTREME exaggeration. However the bass extends Far lower than the M50s, and has a much more satisfying punch. Again, do not think these are bassy, they're just very solid. Also be aware that the mids are statistically recessed, but by ear, sound just fine, clean also quite forward. The treble is loud, and sometimes bright, but has NEVER been sharp or painful. WARNING: The PRO700MK2s come with insanely terrible earpads and i would recommend replacing them ASAP. The clamping force is also known to be insane. (personally, i love how it feels like a hippo clamping down on my skull, trying to pop it. very snug and secure.) Also they're super durable like super durable... uhh... yeah... good luck breaking them... like... ever...

Another Headphone if your ok with Semi-Open would be the Superlux HD681 EVO, i got these recently and love the open spacious sound that i could never get with my PRO700MK2s. However the bass is way too loose and bloated sounding in the upper bass. (Fix: <Will edit in link to a thread i have not made yet about my mod that fixes this issue, at a later date...>) After my mod, it sounds much closer to how I like my sound (aka Mostly Balanced but with a powerful feel) and for the most part these are neutral, not super flat, but more than good enough. now for the cons on the sound... after my mod, the sound is decently tight, they are in no way as tight as the M50s or the PRO700MK2s, but good enough... Now for why I think you should really go for these, despite being a couple steps behind the M50s and PRO700MK2s... they only $41 USD here, instead of the ~$165 the PRO700MK2s are here. Great for saving on getting portable amp (i'd recommend the FiiO E12, does not color the sound, and PLENTY of power.)

Another Headphone to look at is the SoundMagic's HP150, I cannot say too much with these as I have not had extensive time with these. But the sound is good, clear. Fairly neutral. but they will cost you your full budget of $200.

I hope I helped.

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 9
Yeah I like the PRO700MK2 and there little brother's as well , But What i really started to look at are the bose soundtrue. I might be a little bit of a noob, but ive done some deep internet searching and I think the under 200 mark is hit hard by these bose sound true's also the audiotech's . I Still am also instrested in what to Grab next. I just got Some Velodyne v-leve's ... 200 dollar headphones for 25 bucks, and it even came with a skin, I know those arnt quite as good as maybe some of the other's but 25 bucks , how can u loose? Slickdeals really comes through some time... Goodluck.

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 9
 "...but ive done some deep internet searching and..."

What? they have that kind of info in the deep web?

Anyway, I got a listen to the Bose sound trues, they're overhyped, that is for sure. I've never been fond of bose, they got some good headphones, but there always has been something as good for cheaper or something even better for the same price. Headphones I got a listen to, and am highly considering getting is the Sennheiser HD558. (the ones i heard had the foam mod)

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 9
Just a figure of speech , anyway well at least now i know that there not as good as what they seem. I kinda thought it was wierd that there are no full specs on the bose site. The customer support explained there not aloud to explain the sensitivity / ohms. I thought this was weird how it is suppose to be a surprise. Ill have to check these Sennheiser HD558 's out and see about them . I really am leaning towards audiotech's.

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 9
not saying the bose's were really bad, just are a little overhyped. But if your ok with open back, i would wholey recommend the HD558s. if it gotta be closed back, something like the SoundMagic's HP150s are still really good.

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 9
With the music i listen to , metal, dubstep, rap, and more ... I like to have a some boom in there as well. I'm wondering what a good set of headphones , comfy over ear with some boomin bass would be. On the other hand i love hearing the clarity as well. Something that has a good mixture of these for my brand of music. Really just getting into this audiophile scene and i gotta say ' got my attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back