Headphone meets a subculture
Nov 28, 2007 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Sasaki

500+ Head-Fier
Once upon a time, Japan used to be known as the center of Silk in the world as seen in this latest film "Silk". Time has past and it's been changed to cars or electrics in these days.
Now, Japan getting its popularity as the center of subculture like Anime or Manga
Headphone world is no exception. Illustrations of cute girls wearing headphones are called as "head-fon musume (headphone girls)" and much popular. I noticed many headfiers use that kind of illustration as their avatar.

Finally, a happy marriage of subculture and headphones is born, it couldn't be better
It's a book, the title is "Moeru headfon dokuhon". Here is a link (Japanese).
FYI, this site is not a subculture related one, this is an audio news of Nov 2nd. Click pictures to see the sample.
http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/200711/02/19745.html

Later part of the title "headfon dokuhon" is easy to translate, it's a reader of headphones reviews in somewhat formal manner. Contrast, "Moeru(萌える)" is fairly casual saying and difficult to translate. However, Moeru is the keyword for this subculture.
Moeru/Moe is sort of homonym, "burning" and "cute,pretty" shares same phonetic pronunciation. So it could be translated as an extraordinary cute or passionately pretty .. maybe
Anyway, it should not be translated directory and left it is, as it's just a play on words.
The contents are 26 headphone reviews by an audio writer with full of headfon-musume illustrations by 22 illustrators.

Some of you may have interest but don't ask me about its availability or purchasing, I do not know anything other than this page.
It is not a mass publishing but it is a private published book. It would sell in a private publish manga fair and so many people would rush into the limited quantity. It must be hard to get one.
If you want it anyhow, I recommend you to find a good deputy service of Yahoo auction and tell them you want to watch it. Some of those would arrive there at premium price.

By the way, Audio Technica will launch bunch of new headphones for this end of the year.
I noticed they held an unusual type of exhibit for the rollout. The show looks like a fashion event features cute girls wearing the new headphones. Here is the link.
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/072/72797/img.html
Seems like they also got an influence from that subculture movement

*originally posted in Nov 5,07

Users who are viewing this thread

Back