Headphone... Max budget of $180... Preferably bassy and good looking
Apr 9, 2014 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

zunehdrocks

Headphoneus Supremus
One of my friend's beats tours and beats solos broke. I'm trying to get him to buy other headphones. Leave reasons not to get beats in your posts along with alternatives please (he will be looking at this thread).
His preferences are:
lots of bass
looks (very important to him)
Build quality

So far I can only think of
v-moda m-80
Creative Aurvana Live 2
Logitech UE 6000

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 16
What about the brand new V-Moda XS? They should have the bass he is looking for, as well as the looks. They are extremely durable, too. I mean extremely durable. They have a detachable cable (of course), and fold up extremely small for some serious portability. I mean, the headphones inside the case fits easily in the palm of your hand. 

Obviously there are reason to buy and not to buy beats. It's really a matter of opinion. But if he is a 'beats type of guy', the XS is everything, except better. Sound quality. Bass. Durability. Stylish. Portability. And yes, beats has all that (excluding durability), But why not get more for your money, you know?

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 16
What about the brand new V-Moda XS? They should have the bass he is looking for, as well as the looks.

I've always disliked the looks of the V-Moda headphones (lol).

But seriously, if he does like the looks, V-Moda headphones would be a great choice for your friend :)

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 16
  Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

A little over budget but they're worth it.

I have the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros. Overall, I was not  'wowed' by their sound. I was however, very impressed by the build quality and I think that the adjustable the bass selection feature is novel and makes for a very fun sound signature, however the highs seem tamed and the mid details are recessed. The EQ makes them very non-fatiguing headphones if that is your thing, but I prefer clarity and can handle highs. Not considering costs, they are better than many headphones, but for a point of reference I prefer my ATH-M50s over the COPs because they have clearer mids and the highs extend better than the COPs. Keep in mind that the M50s aren't exactly known for their mids. The bass is definitely more fun on the COPs but the biggest turn off for me was how inefficient they are. Even though they are rated at 16ohms, I have to crank the volume all the way to high and I still cannot reach the same sound level of my other headphones on medium-low. When I was A/Bing them I actually had to lower the volume on my other phones to match the volume of the COPs. So that is something you may want to keep in mind OP if you do consider them.

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #7 of 16
Well it is cheaper open box on ebay so...
It definitely seems like a good option
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-Custom-One-Pro-Professional-Closed-Back-Headphone-Black-/400691684587?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item5d4b15e4eb#ht_5848wt_1199

I had the Beat Solos, and all the negative comments and bias towards them are warranted. You are doing your friend a great favor by persuading him to get other headphones. The Solos really sound awful, and for the price it is ridiculous... I actually have a few pairs of the fake Solos that I bought with the intention of swapping some decent drivers into and the real Solos were not that much better than the fakes... The fakes were really inefficient though, they sounded lower at the same volume settings vs the real Solos... I have not heard of the other Beats likes Studio or Detox, nor the Tours, which I believe are the in-ears, but if your friend is upgrading from the Solos, he will probably love the COPs in comparision. It may sound like I am being critical of the COPs, but that is because I own many headphones that I can compare them against. As I mentioned, if your friend is upgrading from the Solos and doesnt have many other headphones to compare against, he will probably love them, but for around the same price range there are alot of options to consider, another one of which are the DT 770 Pros, also made by Beyerdynamic. Please keep in mind that I have not heard the DT 770s personally, but when I was researching the COPs, I read more than once that the DT 770s were better, and that users that owned both were disappointed in the COPs performance vs the DT 770.  Your friend may also want to consider the DT 770, but if looks are important, the COPs IMO look better and can be customized. The COPs do not fold up though, so they will require a bag if they are going to be used for on the go as they are kind of bulky. I believe the same is also true for the DT 770s.

Did another quick comparision just now of the COPs vs the M50s and the M50s have more forward/aggressive highs and vocals, while the COPs is more laid back and more refined/well behaved. The soundstage is noticably better on the M50s. The bass on the COPs is cleaner and more controlled than on the M50s and is louder than the M50s on adjustable setting 3, and can still go up to 4. Both are fine headphones, and both are well built, but the COPs are better built. The COPs are also customizable and you can buy virtually all replacement parts for the COPs, including the headband pad which you cannot on the M50s. Also will add that the COPs has a removable cable that is prone to shorting, but the cable can also be purchased and replaced.

In the end it really is a preference issue, Even though I said I preferred the M50s, it is not like the M50s blow them out of the water, I mentioned that mainly to give you a point of reference. They are both IMO in the same tier and both are leagues above the Solo in SQ. The COPs are definitely an good option to consider, especially if you can get them for the right price. Afterall, that is why I currently have a pair :wink:

EDIT: I recently put generic DT770 velours on the COPs and I can say I now prefer the COPs w/ generic velours over the M50s by a significant  margin. The soundstage opened up ALOT and is much wider and more importantly, clearer compared to the M50s. The clearer soundstage improved the EQ balance making the COPs highs and especially the mids much more audible. The trade off is that you lose bass and efficency. The COPs were already hard to drive in stock form, but with the velours it takes even more power to reach the same volume. As for the bass, while you lost quantity, you in turn get quality. The bass is much cleaner now and does not bleed into the rest of the soundstage as it did with the stock pads.

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 16
Apr 10, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 16
I
I had the Beat Solos, and all the negative comments and bias towards them are warranted. You are doing your friend a great favor by persuading him to get other headphones. The Solos really sound awful, and for the price it is ridiculous... I actually have a few pairs of the fake Solos that I bought with the intention of swapping some decent drivers into and the real Solos were not that much better than the fakes... The fakes were really inefficient though, they sounded lower at the same volume settings vs the real Solos... I have not heard of the other Beats likes Studio or Detox, nor the Tours, which I believe are the in-ears, but if your friend is upgrading from the Solos, he will probably love the COPs in comparision. It may sound like I am being critical of the COPs, but that is because I own many headphones that I can compare them against. As I mentioned, if your friend is upgrading from the Solos and doesnt have many other headphones to compare against, he will probably love them, but for around the same price range there are alot of options to consider, another one of which are the DT 770 Pros, also made by Beyerdynamic. Please keep in mind that I have not heard the DT 770s personally, but when I was researching the COPs, I read more than once that the DT 770s were better, and that users that owned both were disappointed in the COPs performance vs the DT 770.  Your friend may also want to consider the DT 770, but if looks are important, the COPs IMO look better and can be customized. The COPs do not fold up though, so they will require a bag if they are going to be used for on the go as they are kind of bulky. I believe the same is also true for the DT 770s.

Did another quick comparision just now of the COPs vs the M50s and the M50s have more forward/aggressive highs and vocals, while the on the COPs is more laid back and more refined. The soundstage is noticably better on the M50s. The bass on the COPs is cleaner and more controlled than on the M50s and is louder than the M50s on adjustable setting 3, and can still go up to 4. Both are fine headphones, both are well built, but the COPs are better built. The COPs are also customizable and you can buy virtually all replacement parts for the COPs, including the headband pad which you cannot on the M50s. Also will add that the COPs has a removable cable that is prone to shorting, but the cable can also be purchased and replaced.

In the end it really is a preference issue, Even though I said I preferred the M50s, it is not like the M50s blow them out of the water, I mentioned that mainly to give you a point of reference. They are both IMO in the same tier and both are leagues above the Solo in SQ. The COPs are definitely an good option to consider, especially if you can get them for the right price. Afterall, that is why I currently have a pair :wink:

I actually really like the dt770 aside from the recessed mids. The reason its not on the list is because of its looks

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #10 of 16
I haven't seen the DT 770s in person, but in the pictures I've seen they look similar to the COPs, with the headband/forks bearing a stark resemblence and the main difference being the ear cups. I have also heard that the ear pads can be swapped, so you could put the pleathers from the COPs onto the DT 770s improving the looks and bass.

If your friend is a modder they can also be personally customized/modded. I saw a pretty neat example of a customized DT 770 here (scroll down):

http://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/white-beyerdynamic-dt-770.html

Might spark some ideas :)

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #11 of 16
Jul 1, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #14 of 16
Oh god
You guys will be disappointed
He didn't get beats but  he got the monster dnas.
The monster dnas are a bit overpriced but decent. Its not a total basshead can like many would expect but I'm not exactly a fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back