Headphone magazine?
Aug 4, 2006 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Aldo_Lopez

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everybody I just got my PC Magazine magazine today and it was about all about digital music. I had a lot of fun reading about the stuff (Though most of it was basically about iPod and the headphone section was very small and basically said BOSE headphones were best). I was wondering is there any headphone magazine? Has anybody thought about making one (If it is too expensive then maybe make it digital and online like an e-book or something?)? I heard about "Stereophile" but that is more about high-end audio with mainly speaker stuff, right? I was thinking about a magazine about all the kinds of headphones, amplifiers, DACs, etc. that are talked about on these forums (With stuff like reviews, tweaks and mods, new products, product news, etc. And I think you could put advertisements in there to help pay for it?). I think it would be a cool idea and I would definetly want to read it all the time
smily_headphones1.gif

So what does everybody think? Wouldnt it be cool?

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 5
My vote for the headphone magazine. We should have a section at headfi for comments on the monthly articles of that magazine too.

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 5
I'll subscribe right away for first issue. Funny that there are dedicated hobby magazines for almost every man and his dog, but zilch for headphiles. This must be a super niche hobby of ours.
Imagine "phone-mate of the month" glossy poster inside every issue...
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 5
There are a couple of things to think about here...
1) Is there a big enough group of people to put out a magazine that would be able to even break even with the printer?

2) what kind of material would you will it with?
a) reviews - who is socially and credibly qualified to validate the reviews
b) new and coming headphone, amp, sources, etc...
c) hacker's mod of the month - pros and cons
d) advertisements from manufacturers and vendors
e) ebay finds of the month/quarter
f) interviews with manufaturers

3) how often should it come out?
4) is there enough material and attention to do a monthly or quarterly?
5) who has the time to devote to production and publication?
6) who do you go through for printing?

not saying it can't or even shouldn't be done. but from someone that was getting into publishing comicbooks but stopped from many of those types of questions came up that were not able to be filled at the time. Who know, hell with the DAP market going crazy these days, I'm sure alot of the manufacturers would love another avenue to advertise.

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust
There are a couple of things to think about here...
1) Is there a big enough group of people to put out a magazine that would be able to even break even with the printer?

2) what kind of material would you will it with?
a) reviews - who is socially and credibly qualified to validate the reviews
b) new and coming headphone, amp, sources, etc...
c) hacker's mod of the month - pros and cons
d) advertisements from manufacturers and vendors
e) ebay finds of the month/quarter
f) interviews with manufaturers

3) how often should it come out?
4) is there enough material and attention to do a monthly or quarterly?
5) who has the time to devote to production and publication?
6) who do you go through for printing?

not saying it can't or even shouldn't be done. but from someone that was getting into publishing comicbooks but stopped from many of those types of questions came up that were not able to be filled at the time. Who know, hell with the DAP market going crazy these days, I'm sure alot of the manufacturers would love another avenue to advertise.

I thought about who could do reviews and I thought that maybe it should be like the head-fi system with the "featured" reviews (What specifications thse people have to meet these people have to meet?)?

I think it should come out quarterly because monthly is a LOT more work and I dont know if there is enough information and stuff going on to fill it up each month. I am not sure who could lead it but I think there are people here with talent and leadership (Like I read about how some guys organized and HUGE national "meet"). If the main problem is cost and worrying if cost of printing will make up for the expensive printer/ink, then it could be a digital magazine that would have a really cheap cost (And since it is only 4 issues a year it wont be too expensive for the user; maybe something like $25 per year or something?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back