Headphone Listening
May 6, 2005 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

johnmatrix

100+ Head-Fier
Has headphone listening changed the way you hear?
For me it has. With my um2s, I realized I was not listening with my left ear as critically as my right. Which is strange, because I am a leftie. Now I am rediscovering all my music and enjoying details I never heard before.

May 6, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 5
I think it has improved my hearing, at least for music. I hear things from speakers that I was not aware of before.
Of course, my beautiful wife would disagree on the improved hearing thing, as she has to yell to get my attention. "It's the Etys, honey."

May 6, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 5
Yeah...

I used to really like boosted bass and midrange/treble projection for everything. Most of my cans have this sound signature... Similar to many mid-grade home theater systems. But Im finding its has its limitations. Dont get me wrong, I love my KSC75 and DT770 but there are many times I prefer the flatter spectrum of my e2c and MDR CD-870.

My home theater system now doesnt sound that great. It Images superbly of course compared to headphones. But theres ZERO midbass... I mean its like John Deacon, John Myung and Geddy Lee dont even exist in the mix. I usually prefer headphones for concert DVD watching, even my DT770 has better midbass/midrange.

Garrett

May 6, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix
Has headphone listening changed the way you hear?
For me it has. With my um2s, I realized I was not listening with my left ear as critically as my right. Which is strange, because I am a leftie. Now I am rediscovering all my music and enjoying details I never heard before.

Yep.

Now that I've heard things I've never heard before, I can hear the same things on my run-of-the-mill HT set up or in the car. For instance, I've been listening to Steely Dan since, well, forever, and I never realized Donald Fagan had a speech impediment (specifically, a lisp) until I listened with my Senns. Now I can hear it on my car stereo, even though I din't notice it before.

I've also noticed that I don't hear quite as well with my left ear as my right. The left is not quite as sensitive, and the right sounds a touch louder causing the music to be ever slightly off-center/balance.

Oh, and now all my other gear sounds crappy.

May 7, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
I think it has improved my hearing, at least for music. I hear things from speakers that I was not aware of before.
Of course, my beautiful wife would disagree on the improved hearing thing, as she has to yell to get my attention. "It's the Etys, honey."

I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back