headphone line out and portable amp?
Nov 26, 2009 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

harj

100+ Head-Fier
could someone please advise me if i was to use a portable amp like a airhead by the headphone out of dap (sony nwz-818), would i gain in sound quality or would it just amp the volume due to the hp line out?

Nov 26, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 14
No one will give you a good answer. Here is a good answer: the amp is either good or bad. Some will be worse than the amp inside the Sony. But assuming the airhead is better, it doesn't matter if from LOD or headphone out - it will improve the sound.

the reasons:
1. less load on the headphone output (if the headphone output can drive no load (some cannot), then it will make the unit perform as good as it can
2. depending on the source, less hiss. Set the source's gain rather high (as high as it will go without clipping) and use the amp to attenuate the volume. That way, you will get the best signal to noise ratio unless the headphone output of your source is complete rubbish and gets noisier as the signal gets louder.
3. The perceived dependence on LOD is artificial. LOD does not mean better. Some players have a proper line out which can drive no load line levels and will bypass some internal circuitry with an unamped signal. Amping that is optimal, but can be worse. Some players have 'line outs' which are complete rubbish and it is better to use the headphone output.
4. some players with wifi (iPod touch, Sony X) should be used in conjunction with LOD only with wifi turned off as wifi (not headphone out) will pick up on extra static with any amp and LOD.

Good luck and enjoy the Airhead!

Nov 26, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one will give you a good answer. Here is a good answer: ....

I just found it ironic
o2smile.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 14
sorry could you explain this a little more, I'm a noob. I have an iriver which has a line out and a headphone out. Would I likely be better off using an amp on the line out and then driving the headphones?

Nov 26, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 14
to tell you the truth, I don't know which will be better for you. Some portables don't have real lineouts, or their outputs are inferior to their headphone outputs. If your line out is real, it is better to use it as it probably has less distortion and/or artifacts from other parts of the audio stream. If however, that isn't the case, amping the headphone signal is of course, perfectly fine.

Even the iPod which has a good line out yields amazing results by just amping the headphone output.

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Set the source's gain rather high (as high as it will go without clipping) and use the amp to attenuate the volume. That way, you will get the best signal to noise ratio unless the headphone output of your source is complete rubbish and gets noisier as the signal gets louder.

Basically you mean setting source's volume to max and then gradually lowering it until the sound is not distorted?

Nov 26, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 14
the source needs to be set to a high volume so that as little extra noise gets through to the amp. Many sources cannot make it to full 100% and still sustain a good signal. The D2 does very well at 49/50, the Amp3 does pretty well at 31/1 and the iPod touch does about one bar from the top. each source will be different; some will be good to about 2/3 of the max volume and that is it.

Nov 26, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

the source needs to be set to a high volume so that as little extra noise gets through to the amp. Many sources cannot make it to full 100% and still sustain a good signal. The D2 does very well at 49/50, the Amp3 does pretty well at 31/1 and the iPod touch does about one bar from the top. each source will be different; some will be good to about 2/3 of the max volume and that is it.

Thx. Wasn't aware of that adjusting at all
wink_face.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

4. some players with wifi (iPod touch, Sony X) should be used in conjunction with LOD only with wifi turned off as wifi (not headphone out) will pick up on extra static with any amp and LOD.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of wifi interference with the Touch. My friend was asking me about this last week. Just had him tested it and it sounds a lot better.

BTW. Some iRiver players have an optical out that sounds really good amped opposed to the headphone out.

Nov 27, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 14
I don't have the time to dig this up right now, but someone posted measurements of the headphone out and lineout of some of the newer ipods, with no load (e.g. the input of an amplifier presents virtually no load), and the headphone output turned out to perform better. In fact, its overall RMAA score was "very good" which is certainly good enough for me. Without my actually digging it up, though, I'll understand if you guys take such a radical statement with a grain of salt.

Nov 27, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 14
On my original Ipods the line out was considerably better. I have had several but now have a classic/nano and touch. One the nano and classic the line out is better but on the touch it is a toss up.
The other thing i didn't noticed addressed is the fact that some headphones are harder to drive and need amping to sound their best. There is also the output value in ohms to match the headphones as well, or come close. Amplifiers address these issue to improve SQ.

My vote is to amp it, to me, my headphones always sound fuller when I do.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #14 of 14
thanks for all the posts. i was thinking about getting a ibasso t4 to drive some triple fi1 10's. The t4 in the uk costs £100, i could use that money on some custom moulds. It dont know which would give me better results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back