Headphone lifetime? Durability, build quality, longevity ...
Apr 3, 2024 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Sharpenologist

New Head-Fier
How long would you expect a pair of headphones to last?

We could break this down by price range [as a starting point]:

USD $100 and under, $101-$300, $301-$600, $601-$900 ... etc ...

My specific situation: a pair of headphones in the middle of the $301-$600 range, non-abusive wearing/use
[100% at a desk or on the couch, no rough packing for travel].

Should a pair of full-size headphones break in a non-repairable way [structural component, not a switch or
internal electronics failure] in less than 4 years?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

-dmm

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 10
Should a pair of full-size headphones break in a non-repairable way [structural component, not a switch or
No, they shouldn't, but I'm not surprised if they did. I have four pair of AKG K240 sextetts from the 1970s, and still going strong. That being said, it seems stuff from those days were built to last, whereas many modern products are built to fail.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 10
No, they shouldn't, but I'm not surprised if they did. I have four pair of AKG K240 sextetts from the 1970s, and still going strong. That being said, it seems stuff from those days were built to last, whereas many modern products are built to fail.
My Oppo PM3 are about 10 years old. These are very sturdy with metal arms. On the second set of replacement pads. Still sounds great for a $300 headphone.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 10
One popular model that has been used and reviewed extensively is the Sennheiser HD600. For daily use, I have seen a review where someone had the HD600 and used it almost daily, until one of the driver coils gave out about 10 years after its purchase and they just bought another pair. I cannot find the link for that anymore, but I can provide the cheapest model with the closest form factor of the HD600, which is the Drop x Sennheiser HD58X:

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones

Also, if you do not mind shipping from other countries, like China, then you can find plenty of accessories that can prolong the lifespan of your headphones on AliExpress, like headband covers, sheep/lamb-skin leather ear pads, replacement cables, and such. :)

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 10
Headphones are durable with normal use, and replacing the pads every few years. I wouldn't overthink it too much unless you have children or curious pets who could knock them off your desk. Closed back design is more durable, and I'm waiting on the new Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro X which is about to come out and should sound great since they did a good job on the DT700 and DT900 which I've had. Get a pair of those they don't even need an amplifier, a $9 Apple USB to 3.5mm adapter will light them up fine. For $210 or so you can have something really durable. The current DT700 is too mild, but the DT900 is a lot of fun. The DT770 Pro X should be excellent if the other two are good indicators. Due out this month.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 10
No

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 10
My specific situation: a pair of headphones in the middle of the $301-$600 range, non-abusive wearing/use

-dmm
If you have a specific model that failed, you should call them out. 4 years in that price range is not enough.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #8 of 10
How long would you expect a pair of headphones to last?

We could break this down by price range [as a starting point]:

USD $100 and under, $101-$300, $301-$600, $601-$900 ... etc ...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

-dmm
Forever. My first ok headphones, they cost 100 bucks back in the 90s. I replaced the pads on them once. Still work.

As far as breaking...hmm...i guess if you have a large cranium the physical structure of a headphone could get stressed over time, revealing a weak point. Should you expect total failure beyond repair? No. Heck no.

I think i stay away from anything super exotic for this reason. I want something i could keep around, get pads and parts, and if something does crap out after my warranty...im not worried i can't buy parts or get help.

I would be upset outside of like....i dunno...a bluetooth device where battery service just isnt going to happen.

I'm sorry that happened to you. It's disappointing having any gear break or fail. I've had customer service needs on my two main headphones (maintenence, studio tools)and one that i dont use much. All three companies had phenomenal service that really did make it all better. No hassels, polite, responsive and one individual, in each instance, resolved my service need start to finish. These are products ranging from like $300 to a few tiers above. So cost of the initial item never played a factor.

Every company should strive for good support for their legacy products and existing customers. Things do go wrong, but if you dont, wont or cant help your old customers, your old customers will look to another company to replace your failed product.

Apr 4, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 10
I have 4 over-ear sets going back 20 years. The only issue I have with any of them is that the k701s don't have a detachable cable and I did an oopsie at my desk causing the left driver to not work anymore.

I have 3 earbud/IEMs. The wired ones (Shure models) are 7 and 10 years old with no issues. My wireless buds (Sony WF-1000XM4) are 3 years old and don't hold a charge longer than about an hour making them pretty useless.

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #10 of 10
My wireless buds (Sony WF-1000XM4) are 3 years old and don't hold a charge longer than about an hour making them pretty useless.
I also had Shures fail -- one SE535 driver just went dead, but it was after more than a decade. Shure sells replacement drivers.

One good thing about the Sonys -- besides the great noise cancellation -- is that with steady hands and the right tools, you can replace the batteries. Or a phone repair person probably can do it.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Sony+WF-1000XM4+Wireless+Earbuds+battery+replacement/162365

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back