Headphone lifespan?
Feb 8, 2010 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

beamthegreat

500+ Head-Fier
How many hours does it take for a headphone's diaphragm break?

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 17
It all depends on how you treat the headphones; how loud you play your music, what kind of conditions you keep them in, etc.
Also, different drivers may not last the same amount of time even under the same conditions.

There's no clear cut answer.

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 17
buy a koss hp with lifetime warranty and don't think about it, so long as the company lasts >_> [yeah go buy koss so they stay in business and therfore are there forever if others buy into it too, so you'll have a supply of the same ones forever for a low replacement fee of 6$ i believe].

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 17
I suspect most people get bored of the headphones long before they break. I've got a pair of 10+ year old Sony headphones that need nothing more than an earpad replacement. They still work well.

There are also plenty of older (10+ years) headphone in the FS section that have changed hands many times and still work very well.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 17
My HD 25-1 originals are 20 years old, still going strong, and all I have needed to do is to replace the earpads 4 or 5 times over the years as they wore out.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 17
Today 03:33 PM
odigg I suspect most people get bored of the headphones long before they break. I've got a pair of 10+ year old Sony headphones that need nothing more than an earpad replacement. They still work well.

There are also plenty of older (10+ years) headphone in the FS section that have changed hands many times and still work very well.

In my opininon, Sony spare part pads are either a) out of stock, or b) prohibitively expensive - at least in Europe. Last time I checked the D333 pads were more expensiev than a new pair of the headphones themselves. There are exceptions, of course, but beware, F1, CD-2000 and CD-3000 owners! AKG, Sennheiser et al are much better in this respect.

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 17
Thousand of hours, all depending on how you treat them.
There are people around here with 50+ years old pairs in fully working condition, and I have and have had several 20-35 years old pairs myself.

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many hours does it take for a headphone's diaphragm break?

My NAGRA DT48 from the mid 50's are in fine condition.. Sound fine.. Only a slight tear on one of the pads..

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thousand of hours, all depending on how you treat them.
There are people around here with 50+ years old pairs in fully working condition, and I have and have had several 20-35 years old pairs myself.

Chances are, a well built headphone will out last you.. Look at all the popular vintage Stax from the 70's & 80's.. Still a hot commodity on head fi..

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect most people get bored of the headphones long before they break.

I suspect most people get bored of the headphones long before they're broken in..

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect most people get bored of the headphones long before they're broken in..

I see what you did there...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back