Headphone jack static
Jan 4, 2011 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Scythels

New Head-Fier
*Sigh* Finally (wasn't my choice to wait this long, authorizing purchase of "expensive" gear through parents took FOREVER) I got decent headphones (Bose IE2s, I said decent, not great, for a reason).  And now I've realized that my laptop has a serious audio problem.  It's either hardware static, or dust on the jack (female connection, laptop side, not headphones; as the play fine on my ZuneHD and other PCs.)  Is there any way to clean the jack (even if the issue is not dust, cleaning it once after two years would be nice)?  Is there any software out there that can suppress this issue?  I think it's static/hardware noise seepage, though because it sounds the same on any volume, ie: voltage, level. 

Any help would be great, as I'm not entirely sure what I need to search for to correct this :frowning2:

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 6
Maybe a cotton swab? I don't know if that's the problem, but if it is, it's way easier than changing soundcards.
Most laptops just have cheap on-board soundcards which then have cheap headphone-outs (female jack). I think that might be the problem, but you should give it a clean-up anyway =)

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 6
Actually, after giving it extra-special-attention today, I think it's just dust or something.  It faded after like two hours of pumping audio through it :\  Burnt dust ftw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back