Headphone jack on quality receivers
Jan 17, 2008 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jcease

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm glad to join the forum. I feel the headphone input on a quality reciever(pioneer elite, marantz a/v line or classic 2250,2275, current onkyo line) can compete with some of the better headphone amps on the market today, especially in the area of maximum output. Currently I've been using my classic Sherwood S-7910 receiver from the 70's. Quite frankly it sounds incredible with either my Grado or Sennheisers. The sound is very detailed, smooth and huge. Also both my Marantz 2275, and current a/v marantz sound great. Is anyone else getting good sound from their receivers? Ed

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 8
I just tested my RS-2's from Harman Kardon's AVR645. I have to crank it all the way up to hear something and the sound is pathetic! Complete lack of dynamics and RS-2's sound like cheap 10$ phones. My K701's were also very power hungry from H/K.

On the other hand, my Sony SCD-XB790 SACD player has a very nice headphone jack and RS-2 sounds nice from it.

Jan 17, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 8
IME it's the combo of HP and amp that makes or breaks it.

The jacks in both the Cyrus PreXvs (when I had one) and the Benchmark DAC1 are apparently well designed circuits, yet with my DT770s the Cyrus sounded generally thin and with the DAC1 too bright and fatiguing.

Tried out the Arietta and now I have a choice between speakers or HP, rather than just use HP when there's no other choice
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 8
it depends on many things yes. it would surprise many to find that volume matched, the differences could not be told on many receivers. an amp eliminates that worry but... really good sounding headphones will sound good as long as there is volume to hear them.

some receivers have better sound than others and will have a more powerful headphone out but...

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 8
If you enjoy what you're hearing then stick with it. Never A/B test your headphones with anything else, other wise you risk falling into the hi-fi trap of chasing what's better...
tongue.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 8
I'm getting great sound with Beyerdynamic DT770-80 out of the headphone jack of a current model Onkyo PMA-2000IVR integrated receiver. I'm delighted!

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 8
My Vintage Nak and Yamaha headphone out sound just fine. For most receiver, the headphone output is just a couple of attenuation resistor from the speaker output. So the sound theoretically should sound like the main out.

CD palyer and pre-amp generally has their own individual headphone amp. The headphone out of my Phillips is not quite up to par.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back