Headphone implant?
Oct 21, 2005 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Spiritboxer

1000+ Head-Fier
If the technology was available and you could have a tiny high end headphone, say the sonic equivalent of an HE 90, surgically implanted directly into your brain, would you do it? I'm sure I'd be down in the street, right now, trying to flag down a cab so I could be first on line. Just wondering if I'd be alone, is all. Of course upgrading might be an issue but still........

Oct 21, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 46
I wouldn't. Upgrading is half the fun. Plus, that's kind of creepy, and what if it malfunctions.

Oct 21, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 46
this accually reminds me of somthing from a neal steveson novel, diamond age. the book is this big what if regarding nanotechnology, and in once scene a character has a tiny array of molecule sized machines inmplanted directly on his eardrums...

and no, i don't think that i'm that into audio reproduction to suscribe to the whole cyborg ideology

Oct 21, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 46
I don't think they would receive very well through my aluminum foil hard hat!
eggosmile.gif
Besides, who knows what else they would implant in there?
tongue.gif

Remember: just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 46
That's just the beginning. Imagine a telephone implanted in your head. Or how about a web browser? TV set? Full-sensory virtual reality?

Hell, I'd volunteer to upload my consciousness into the net to exist as a bodiless entity. This meatbag has brought me nothing but grief so far! Not to mention the medical bills
frown.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 46
I don't know if having an electrosatic element and the associated high voltage amplification circuitry implanted in your body is really a great idea.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I don't know if having an electrosatic element and the associated high voltage amplification circuitry implanted in your body is really a great idea.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Lol. One thing is for certain - human machine interfacing will definitely continue and scenarios like this will undoubtebly arise... not that the phones would be electrotatic! Probably more like an IEM.

Oct 21, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #12 of 46
One minor issue -

How would you demo them?

Oct 21, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Quite possibly the weirdest thing I've ever read.
tongue.gif

Ahhh, I read a lotta sci-fi when I was a kid and I spent the entire morning in a hospital so......The hidden agenda was to see who *didn't* respond, guess I just gave it away.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back