Headphone Impedance
Oct 9, 2008 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jwilliams91

New Head-Fier
hi, this may be a question that all you experts have answered a million times, but as a newcomer in the world of sound, i was wondering: do higher impedance headphones use more power from my mp3 player? i have just bought a pair of koss portapros for my creative zen vision:m, and was wondering whether they would lower the battery quicker than the free phones. also, will they be quieter/poorer in quality as a result? thanks a lot for your help. jwilliams

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 6
In terms of power, the headphones typically use very, very little, and differences between them won't make a difference in battery life.

Headphones have impedance and sensitivity, concerning powering them (well, any transducers do). Sensitivity is the measure of how loud it is with a certain amount of power going through it (nominally). With the same sensitivity, a lower impedance headphone will use more power than one with higher impedance to reach the same volume. A headphone with high impedance and also high sensitivity will use little power, and not be, "quiet."

So, they may need a higher volume setting from the player, or not, but the impedance measurement isn't that important of a factor for it.

Now, about a portable amp for those PPros...
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 6
ye, they are 15hz-25000mhz, 103dB and 60 ohms, compared to the free ones which were a lower sensitivity and impedance. so basically, your saying that my new ones will play louder and use less power as a result?

Oct 9, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilliams91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ye, they are 15hz-25000mhz, 103dB and 60 ohms, compared to the free ones which were a lower sensitivity and impedance. so basically, your saying that my new ones will play louder and use less power as a result?

They probably will be a little quieter than the buds at a given volume setting, but no. The main point is that they are specs in a table that every headphone has, and aren't all that meaningful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back