Headphone Impedance: Dont understand the differences
Mar 28, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #31 of 33
Actually, Audio&Me, 8V is the rounded nominal (read: maximum continuous) input voltage capacity of the HD 600's. And most likely you will be delivering much fewer volts to your headphone drivers than that nominal rating.

In other words, the voltage input going into the HD 600's should not continuously go over 7.7 volts.

Mar 28, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #32 of 33
Yes, I always round off the final # (easier to deal with).
biggrin.gif
What I meant was, which ones can deliver upto 8V effortlessly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2002 at 12:18 PM Post #33 of 33
kwkarth, thanks for reply, it helped a lot. Obviously it has been years since I've thought about any of this stuff.

Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth

Because as I said above, the proportion of frequency dependant reactance becomes a greater and greater portion of the total impedance of the system, so as the general resistance of the can goes up, it also becomes more and more “sensitive” to reactive loading from the cable, etc. Make sense?

I'm still a little confused on this part.
Lets take the total reactance (RE) of the headphone
to be
RE = R + i C
Where R is the resistive, assumed non-frequency dependant part, and C is the inductive/capacitive part.

It seems to me if R is large, then a given C will have less effect on the total RE than it would if R is small. (for example is R=10 and C=10 then 50% of RE is due to C, but if R=100 and C=10 then only 10% is due to C).

I must be missing something, since people really only talk about upgrading the cable on the high resistance Senn cans. Maybe I'd better go dig out my old EE texts
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back