Headphone/IEM Shootout for the Budget-Minded (College Students and such)
Jan 12, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #16 of 39

Quote:
One can buy a $35 Clip+ and put a $35 32GB microSDHC card in it, and have a great cheap 40GB player. Or else they could add a 16GB card, and for around $50 total have a great sounding 20GB player.

It is also tiny and has a built in clip. For $50 one can have a 2GB Shuffle, or a Clip+ with 20GB of storage. The Clip+ also has a display and FM radio. Great for poor students, and for those who are frugal.

The clip itself is pretty fragile, so it's mostly useless. The battery life is shortened when playing off expandable memory. Wait, where can you get a 32GB microSDHC card for $32?!

Note: My dad thought $38 was expensive for a 4GB DAP.

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #17 of 39
Instead of the Superlux HD681, the Samson SR850(made by Superlux) is a better headphone, just 32 ohms, and is $40 new on Ebay with free US shipping.

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #18 of 39

Quote:
The clip itself is pretty fragile, so it's mostly useless. The battery life is shortened when playing off expandable memory. Wait, where can you get a 32GB microSDHC card for $32?!

Note: My dad thought $38 was expensive for a 4GB DAP.

Most people don't have a problem with the clip on a Clip+. Don't think of the $35 4GB Clip+ as a 4GB player, think of adding a $15  16GB card for it and having a $50  20GB player, or adding a $35  32GB card and having a $70  40GB player.
Would you rather have a 2GB shuffle without a screen or radio for $50, or a Clip+ with a screen, FM radio, and 20GB for the same price?

Having a card in the player has  no measurable effect on the battery life. Flash memory only uses power when it is read or written to.

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #19 of 39

Quote:
Most people don't have a problem with the clip on a Clip+. Don't think of the $35 4GB Clip+ as a 4GB player, think of adding a $15  16GB card for it and having a $50  20GB player, or adding a $35  32GB card and having a $70  40GB player.
Would you rather have a 2GB shuffle without a screen or radio for $50, or a Clip+ with a screen, FM radio, and 20GB for the same price?

Having a card in the player has  no measurable effect on the battery life. Flash memory only uses power when it is read or written to.

I completely understand what you mean, but that's not how my dad sees it. Anyways, the cheapest 32GB microSD card you could find in Canadian stores is $44. All other ones are $60-$80. 16 GB here start at around $30. Us Canadians are always getting ripped off...

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #20 of 39

Quote:
The thread and the reviews are well broken down in pricing and what not.  So it seems somewhat repetitive having another thread like this. 

Again having said that, there are great deals and FOTMs that won't get covered.  But if the gear is worth it's weight then it'll get traction. 

Again, this thread is only for headphones of exceptional value. You'll notice that joker's reviews have headphones with values of (6.0/10) for example. I don't want those in this thread. This thread aims at values of, say, 8.5/10 or higher.

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #21 of 39

Quote:
Again, this thread is only for headphones of exceptional value. You'll notice that joker's reviews have headphones with values of (6.0/10) for example. I don't want those in this thread. This thread aims at values of, say, 8.5/10 or higher.

Rating based on average value only is misleading. People looking to experience different sound signatures may choose certain headphones at a lower price, even though they don't have the best overall value in their price bracket.

I've spent $20 on the CX300s, $25 on the M6s, $28 on the ProAlphas, $30 on the iM-590s (used but in excellent condition), and $46 on the A151s. All of them have different pros and cons but I do not regret buying any of them. They may not have the most bang for the buck, or be the highest rated in their price bracket, but they have expanded my perspective on IEMs and deepened my appreciation of their different qualities. That should take precedence above all.

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #22 of 39
Another great value is the JVC HAF1X Extreme Explosive IEM. It is around $25. It has very strong bass but is also brightly balanced and has nice midrange and treble. Many extra bass headphones and IEMs are a muddly sounding mess. A number have compared this to the Beats IEM, which I think is around $100.  The HAFX1X requires extensive burn in though. Right out of the package it doesn't sound good.

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #23 of 39
I guess you should also add the JVC HAS600($28). It sounds quite a bit like the HAS650, but has less detail and is less dynamic. It does isolate better. It is much larger than the HAS650, having 40mm drivers rather than the 36mm ones the HAS650 has. At first the HAS600 was very bassy, but after extensive burn in it is much closer to neutral. I didn't initially list it since I thought the HAS650 for just a bit more sounds better and is more compact, however I could see the appeal of the HAS600 as well.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #24 of 39
I'm a real sucker for Brainwavz sets, and I've been amazed for their overall exceptional bang for the buck across almost the entire line. The M1's and the Beta's were probably my favourite in terms of value (the Betas are even more appealing currently during the BOGO promotion, which brings it to under $15 each). Dunu Tridents would also be up there, around $30-$40. 

For headphones, I'd say the ATH-M50 whenever it drops to the ~$100 price point, the regular $160 makes it only decent for the price. CALs and T50RP (hard to find for a good price, but have been as low as $70) are very good bang for the buck as well.

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #27 of 39

Quote:
Not until their products get a detailed objective review.

XEars XE200s and N3is...  Although they didn't get their own review, they both are listed in my battle review here: http://www.ifans.com/blog/26453/

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #28 of 39
The XePort 3010 ($10, bright sound that's fun for metal and rock) and XePort 5010 ($15, kind of like the Hippo VB with tunable ports can give you monstrous bass) are awesome budget options.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #30 of 39
+1 for this thread, it really suits me, the "budget minded college student" 
tongue_smile.gif

Joker's review thread does have a list of budget IEM's, but I think making a special thread for it can help add more IEM's faster, as this thread only focuses on the budget IEM's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back