Headphone I bought sounds different to I store model.
Dec 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

tan1415

100+ Head-Fier
This is a weird post.
I read posts online here and elsewhere and wanted to give Philips headphones a try. We'll I really enjoyed the Philips l1 after trying them out at the store. Like the bass and overall balance of the sound.
So I bought one. Quite fast, normally I m real slow about it.

Love the look and feel of the headphone. But what disappointed me is the sound. Not at all like the one in the store. Sounds weird. Lacks fullness and bass. Bit unbalance.

And to make sure I went to the store and listened again and the sound was so different. Use my own gear of course.Quite shocking.

Why the difference? Is cable or something not right with my own.

Can't return the headphone, could I ask for replacement or something? Any idea what to do?

Seems I have a Monday morning headphone. The iPhone cable was not working too.

Anyway never had this before.lol.

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 21
You may need to burn them in 50 to 200 hours maybe needed before they sound the best they will. If after 50 hrs they don't sound better there maybe a problem.

Dec 20, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 21
This is a weird post.
I read posts online here and elsewhere and wanted to give Philips headphones a try. We'll I really enjoyed the Philips l1 after trying them out at the store. Like the bass and overall balance of the sound.
So I bought one. Quite fast, normally I m real slow about it.
Love the look and feel of the headphone. But what disappointed me is the sound. Not at all like the one in the store. Sounds weird. Lacks fullness and bass. Bit unbalance.
And to make sure I went to the store and listened again and the sound was so different. Use my own gear of course.Quite shocking.
Why the difference? Is cable or something not right with my own.
Can't return the headphone, could I ask for replacement or something? Any idea what to do?
Seems I have a Monday morning headphone. The iPhone cable was not working too.
Anyway never had this before.lol.

Could be whatever the store was using (DAC/amp) is better then whatever you use to for the Philips.

Dec 20, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 21
  I considered that...thats why i used my own.

Result is the same.

So try leaving the Philips plugged in over night (or two).
For burn in, I like to use Metal music, with the volume a little higher then normal.

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #8 of 21
I like to alternate pink noise (http://simplynoise.com) with some bass heavy music of whatever genre. Try some brass instruments too. Mahler's 5th is a good choice. Be patient and give it 70-100 hours.

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #10 of 21
I also vote return ASAP. If there is that big of a noticeable difference between an on-display model vs your model, I would be worried. No amount of burn-in will fix a defective driver.

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #11 of 21
I believe you are living in Holland too maybe even nearby, ZIP code 7943SK. If you like you can audit my set and determine whether or not you wish to keep hold on your set.  

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #13 of 21
You could even consider returning your set and have your money back in order to purchase mine. They were on eBay last week for EUR 110 reserve (boxed, excellent condition) and I was planning on listing them again tomorrow but frankly I'd rather sell them to you knowing you have problems with yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back