Headphone history + Making my own cable
Oct 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Fumbles22

New Head-Fier
Hello (1st post),

I've just started getting into this whole audiophile thing, and i've already owned two pairs of headphones in the past week!  The first were a pair of Sennheiser 598s.  My Dad liked these so much that he took these, along with my aune t1 amp/DAC.

Today my second pair of headphones arrived.  I pushed the boat out and bought a pair of Philips Fidelios X1's.  I had to get a second amp (a V90 HPA) too, and I think they sound great.  I don't think they've burnt in yet, so I don't want to compare the two headphones quite yet.

Apparently, one of the problems with the X1's is the cable.  I've been inspired by some of the ingenious posts on this forum, and i've decided to try and make my own cable.  I'd like to double check that i'm getting the right equipment (most of the equipment was taken from here).

A soldering iron                                          £11.95
Wire Strippers                                            £4.99
A multimeter                                              £4.84
Paracord (to wrap the wire in)                    £1.89
A 3.5mm plug                                            £1.59
A 6.35mm plug                                          £2.99
Hifi wire 2x2.5mm                                     £5.85

At a total cost of £34.10.

Is this everything i'd need?  I also decided to go for the bigger size wire (2 x 2.5mm) rather than the smaller type (2 x 0.40mm).  I thought the bigger wire would have less resistance, and be more durable.  Is this a wise decision?

Anyway, hello everyone on this forum.  I look forward to meeting you all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back